PDA

View Full Version : How do i protect my pump?

JSU
07-14-2004, 08:08 AM
Hello, I have a mag5 and am going to be using it for moving chilled liquid but someone said that their mag5 (it may have been a mag3 or mag7) caracked under these temps.... how can I prevent this?

Tonic
07-14-2004, 09:33 AM
Pump crack in temperature around -40*C.. I assume that you
will have higher temperatures, am I right?

JSU
07-14-2004, 10:26 AM
um not realy seing as i could be hitting those temps when/if i regass to r507

heres the thread http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showpost.php?p=1087832&postcount=87

OCme
07-14-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by JSU
Hello, I have a mag5 and am going to be using it for moving chilled liquid but someone said that their mag5 (it may have been a mag3 or mag7) caracked under these temps.... how can I prevent this?

insulate the pump with foam rubber and/or styrofoam... i will be insulating a mag5 pump for my chilly1 "liquid frostbye" chiller this weekend. tonight i will be testing a few different adhesives to see which one works best for attaching foam rubber to styrofoam. anyone have any suggestions? I know I can't use anything with acetone in it...

OCme
07-14-2004, 01:26 PM
here is a pic of the styrofoam box i'm going to put it in. it's 2.5" thick on all sides top and bottom.

DO NOT PUT YOUR PUMP IN AN INSULATED BOX SUCH AS THIS; THIS IS A BAD IDEA ON MY PART... I REPETE DO NOT RUN YOUR PUMP INLINE WITH INSULATION ALL AROUND IT... THIS IS DANGEROUS AND COULD RESULT IN A FIRE!!!

OCme
07-14-2004, 01:27 PM
here is the lid

JSU
07-14-2004, 04:58 PM
cool... do you think that will help it btw? Also where could I pick up a box like that?

S_I_N
07-15-2004, 07:55 AM
I wrapped my pump with like 2-3 layers of frostking pipe wrap and then wrapped that with a lose layer of eletrical tape. so far so good no problems at all. It's like 3-5 bucks a roll. If you need to removeit ..it comes off real easy and can be rewrapped cheaply. By lose layer I mean basically I didnt pull the tape tight I just wrapped it to give it a better look if you pull the tape tight it lessens the thickness making it not as insulated

JSU
07-15-2004, 08:05 AM
i think im going to use cork tape :)

JSU
07-15-2004, 08:10 AM
btw is the insulation going to stop leaking?

OCme
07-16-2004, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by JSU
cool... do you think that will help it btw? Also where could I pick up a box like that?

I work in a hospital where they use these styrofoam boxes to transport lab specimens. I saw them throwing some old ones out one day and... :idea:

S_I_N
07-16-2004, 05:55 AM
no the insulation is to help keep it from condensating and help protect it from rapid temp changes from cold to hot which can aid in keeping it from cracking. If by leaking you mean sweating yes :)

OCme I get alot of those same type boxes from a local animal hospital. I may have to try one some day. I got like 4-5 of them sitting back on a shelf. Normally use them when the rare customer that wants to ship frozen good comes in. During x-mas we get a few tamale shippers.

OCme
07-16-2004, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by S_I_N
OCme I get alot of those same type boxes from a local animal hospital. I may have to try one some day. I got like 4-5 of them sitting back on a shelf. Normally use them when the rare customer that wants to ship frozen good comes in. During x-mas we get a few tamale shippers.

I am going to insulate my mag 5 pump the same way you did yours this weekend, but instead of electrical tape i'm going to use black duct tape to wrap around the foam rubber tape, then i'm going to put the pump in that styrofoam box to further insulate it and keep things nice and quiet. out of the 4 adhesives i tested the other night J B weld was the clear winner for attaching foam rubber to styrofoam.

S_I_N
07-16-2004, 08:42 AM
good thought you have me contemplating redoing mine as well. my current setup was just to get it running. Now I know it works as well as I expected it to. I want to get it to where I can eventually sealup the case. I may rewrap mine. after routing the lines thru one of those styrofoam boxes and then foam it inplace. that should be the ultimate in insulating and sound proofing although I dont hear mine running now as is. I have to grasp the line and feel the pump pumping lol.

JSU
07-16-2004, 10:48 AM
here smy insulation
http://img10.exs.cx/img10/6150/protectedpump.jpg

S_I_N
07-16-2004, 12:46 PM
wrap those lines and U my friend are set looks good

JSU
07-16-2004, 04:01 PM
yeah im waiting for my parts b4 i cut those b/c i dont know how long they need to be

kayl
07-18-2004, 08:59 PM
why not submerge the pump then dont need to insulate
will insulating the pump stop it from cracking though
also will the methanol attack the plastic parts in pump

JSU
07-18-2004, 09:20 PM
im not using methanol, 1. its flammible 2. Its irritating to humans 3. Is corrosive. If I need to ill buy a mag7 impeller and put it in my mag5 so it can push the antifreeze im using. Btw its rated @ -72f with 2/3 antifreeze and the rest water

saratoga
07-19-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by JSU
im not using methanol, 1. its flammible 2. Its irritating to humans 3. Is corrosive. If I need to ill buy a mag7 impeller and put it in my mag5 so it can push the antifreeze im using. Btw its rated @ -72f with 2/3 antifreeze and the rest water

Alcohol isn't corrosive, and I'm pretty sure your antifreeze will be thicker then honey long before you get to -70f.

S_I_N
07-19-2004, 08:25 PM
I'm running straight denatured alcohol so far I have seen no ill effects. but long term exposure to the outter casing may cause it to deteriate. I may get a spare pump some day and just let it run and see what happens. In a submerged alcohol imvironment.

OCme
07-20-2004, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by kayl
why not submerge the pump then dont need to insulate
will insulating the pump stop it from cracking though
also will the methanol attack the plastic parts in pump

running the pump in a res as a submersible pump will dump more heat into your cooling loop... alcohol will not affect the plastic, but it will deteriorate petroleum base seals, that's why it is best to use a seal-less pump.