PDA

View Full Version : system restore help

buff
07-14-2004, 07:58 AM
Does anybody know how to run system restore without being able to boot the system?
My comp will not boot into safe mode either.
help......my rig is FUBAR'ed

Rodzilla
07-21-2004, 04:33 AM
XP right??

Pop in the XP CD and let it do its thing like you are doing a clean install. Install. Then it will raise hell and tell you that you already have an installation of Windows on the drive. It will then ask if you want to repair it (This is different than the recovery consol). Try that. I have much more you can try.

Also... why did this happen??? Virus? Power outage? Drivers? ect...

:bananal:

XanderF
07-24-2004, 12:48 PM
This article at MS (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304449) describes how to start System Restore from the Command Prompt boot.

Also - check around on MS's site for the specific error you are getting, they have a lot of guides on using the Recovery Console to get your OS back.

Finally, so as Rodzilla suggested and do a 'repair' install. That should take care of ANY problem not hardware related.

Rodzilla
07-24-2004, 02:44 PM
Oh... BTW... Be sure to re-install SP1... the repair op will overwrite many of the SP1 files... and can lead to instability unless you re-install the SP... Drop us a line and let us know how things are going... Don't leave us hanging dude! :cord: