PDA

View Full Version : Can I insulate my compressor?

novagamer
07-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Hey, this is for gary or whomever else might know. I have a dehumidifer converted to a chiller (almost done with the cooler and insulation), it works great probably getting my liquid to -30 or so (no temp probe yet), but that's not my main issue.

When I run the chiller, the compressor gets frost on the bottom (like its ICE cold) and I'm just wondering if it'd be alright to insulate that so I dont have it drip all over the place once I get it in the house. I know it's more humid outside but I'd still like to prevent that.

The top half of the compressor is pretty warm, and the entire bottom half is freezing to the point of frost, I have some insulation around the return line (where it meets the compressor) but I just want to know if it's safe for me to insulate the whole bottom.

Thanks a lot, I'm going to be chilling a 6800gt so this should be a FUN few days:D

Pandrone
07-10-2004, 03:41 PM
If the bottom is cold you probably have too much refrigerant in the system. The bottom should be warm.

novagamer
07-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the info.. heh I don't really have the tools here to let out any gas:(. I could get a piercing valve installed I suppose.

craig588
07-10-2004, 05:58 PM
The compressor is going to slowly die if you keep letting it get cold like that.

Gary Lloyd
07-10-2004, 09:26 PM
If you insulate it, that will make the problem worse and quickly kill the compressor.

novagamer
07-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Gary Lloyd
If you insulate it, that will make the problem worse and quickly kill the compressor.

So I definately want to let some gas out, right? Just want to be sure of what I'm doing, heh.

Also, how much gas should I let out at a time before I retest for the optimal capacity? I want to get this right is all. Thanks for the replies, I apprecaite it a lot:)

kayl
07-11-2004, 04:39 PM
if you dont have the tools
maybe remove some of the insulation on the suction line just before the compresso, this way it has a better chance to boil off before it gets to the compressor.
but of corse taking some gas out would be a better option

you need to put it underload though, it might not freeze up as much, or not at all
is it frosting on the suction line where it goes into the compressor

novagamer
07-11-2004, 05:13 PM
@ kayl

Yeah, I did notice the condensation only after I VERY well insulated the suction line going into the compressor.. before then there was a hair of condensation on the line itself but I figured I'd take care of it. After I insulated the line, there was some condensation where it meets the compressor.

This is not under load, and is also outside where it is more humid than indoors.. I just want to be safe is all :) Thanks again.

kayl
07-11-2004, 08:20 PM
is there any chance of some pics of this beast.