PDA

View Full Version : Chiller ok?

ctgilles
10-13-2002, 05:38 AM
Hey guyz,

I'm throwing out my Prometeia and I'm going to w/c my cpu and radeon... But where can I get a premade chiller (I'm too lazy to build one :D) and I saw this (http://www.overclockershideout.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=o&Category_Code=C1)
(specs) (http://www.overclockershideout.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=o&Product_Code=U1&Category_Code=C1)
Now? I want to use a 172W pelt on my Radeon and a 226W pelt on my 2.8, using the newest Maze3 designed blocks over from DD

My Q's are: will the chiller cool down the pelts sufficiently? It won't be easy since I'm aiming @ -20°C under LOAD (FAH load)
and will the plexi top of the DD hold the temps of '-50 to -20'?
are there any better commercial chillers for sale? If so, please post a link, I have about €1000-1200 for this joke ;)

Thanks guys!

TheDude
10-13-2002, 06:05 AM
Why would you even need pelts with this chiller? Just run the chilled water thru your waterblocks.

ctgilles
10-13-2002, 06:20 AM
will it be as sweet as a prome?

TheDude
10-13-2002, 08:57 AM
If I remember correctly from the video, temps will be better. Prom temps are reported from the evap if it's like the vapochill. Someone who actually runs a prom would be better to answer this...mine is ordered but not here yet. I can tell you it's better than the old style Vapochill which I do have. One thing to consider is its size. I like the fact that the prom is tucked neatly into a decent sized case and will fit the space where my current case sits. One thing I do like about it is that you can chill your water setup with it and use it to cool CPU, GPU and NB, whereas the Prom is direct die and will only cool CPU. There are guys here who have been running Proms for a while who could advise you better. There are also guys here who have made their own chillers who can give you good advice. Hang in there, someone will respond with experience in one or both.:D I would like to have one to use as a chiller for water setup!

m0tion
10-17-2002, 05:52 AM
*Edit*
No "For Sale" posts outside the Classifieds section.

LutaWicasa
Troll Scalper
*Edit*

http://www.whatisrazar.com/phasechange1.jpg

http://www.whatisrazar.com/phasechange2.jpg

System runs R22. Includes the 550CFM Comair Rotron 10" fan you see. Just submerge the evap coils and your golden. My e-mail address is wigginjs@mailbox.sc.edu if you need to contact me.

aenigma
10-17-2002, 12:49 PM
You still need to fix that chiller man :)
It is a little backwards....Discharge lines should enter in the top, and your capillary doesnt look like it has enough resistance.(a/c capillary)

m0tion
10-17-2002, 01:34 PM
Well, I wouldn't say I need to "fix" it, it works pretty well. I don't doubt that it can be improved, it was my first attempt. Point being, nice working chiller for an excellent price.

DaGooch
10-17-2002, 03:44 PM
If you are going to spend that kind of funds what about getting a second Prometeia for just the 9700? The square evaporator head seems to fit perfectly within the shim.

aenigma
10-17-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by m0tion
Well, I wouldn't say I need to "fix" it, it works pretty well. I don't doubt that it can be improved, it was my first attempt. Point being, nice working chiller for an excellent price.
Well yes it works, but far from an "excellent" price.You never said what liquid temps were with an actual load either...

m0tion
10-17-2002, 10:37 PM
Are you suggesting that it would be cheaper to buy the parts and build it yourself? I think your pretty mistaken if thats what your trying to say. I can tell you for sure I spent a good bit more money (not to mention time) on this thing than I'm asking for it.

aenigma
10-17-2002, 10:44 PM
My dual stage direct die system was basically free, just have to know where to look.I didnt know you bought all the parts youself, I know you didnt buy the condenser (evaporator from an a/c unit).I can see the price if you bought the compressor, they get real steep in price.

m0tion
10-17-2002, 11:18 PM
I don't think you were edging on anything =). Anyway, I didn't post it here to start a fight, I just thought that the guy might be interested in an alternative. I didn't think my price was too high, I suppose for some people with skill and experiance it might be. I don't know anything about searching for components in a junkyard, obviously some of you here have a good deal more skill that I do in the phase change department. That is my first chiller and I am looking to get rid of it for what I concider to be a very fair price so that I can start on another one. I wasn't trying to rip anyone off or take advantage of anyone, just trying to recover some of the money I put into it. I hope that if correctly implemented whoever buys this chiller for whatever price will get some fun out of it. I did get the distinct impression from aenigma's post that he was suggesting I was trying to pawn off some piece of junk on someone for an exorbitant price and thats simply not true. No harm no foul, the system is still for sale and this thread turned out to be a good bit more trouble than I thought it would be.

aenigma
10-17-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by m0tion
I don't think you were edging on anything =). Anyway, I didn't post it here to start a fight, I just thought that the guy might be interested in an alternative. I didn't think my price was too high, I suppose for some people with skill and experiance it might be. I don't know anything about searching for components in a junkyard, obviously some of you here have a good deal more skill that I do in the phase change department. That is my first chiller and I am looking to get rid of it for what I concider to be a very fair price so that I can start on another one. I wasn't trying to rip anyone off or take advantage of anyone, just trying to recover some of the money I put into it. I hope that if correctly implemented whoever buys this chiller for whatever price will get some fun out of it. I did get the distinct impression from aenigma's post that he was suggesting I was trying to pawn off some piece of junk on someone for an exorbitant price and thats simply not true. No harm no foul, the system is still for sale and this thread turned out to be a good bit more trouble than I thought it would be.

Man I am sorry if i came off that way, I didnt mean that at all.Just pointing out some things to do to get it performing better.And I didnt know you bought the compressor, I thought you just built it all from used stuff...Best of luck selling it :)

|PuNiSh3R|
10-17-2002, 11:24 PM
m0tion.. that price is perfectly well.. if your chiller performs.. then that price is very good.. just compare to vapochill and prometeia.. 2 systems which go for 500 bux and have a lack of performence.. they sell like hot cakes tho.. aenigma just has a problem with people making money.. the compressor in ur system looks new.. what is the HP and BTU on it? THe condenser obviously looks used.. but that's cool.. and the evap is just copper coil.. you could use longer cap tube though to get lower temps.. although i am assuming you get a pretty big heatload with the system now with that small cap tube.. also.. change condenser around.. have the discharge from the compressor go into where the cap tube is coming from condenser.. and cap tube come out the bottom of the condenser.. then you should have a pretty solid system... u only want 150.00.. that's a fair price.. idk what you paid for the compressor though.. either way.. don't worry what aenigma says..

|PuNiSh3R|
10-17-2002, 11:31 PM
case closed.. enough of this crap. aenigma is always "just joking".. btw.. i am gettin my tutorial hosted elsewhere anyway.. doesn't bother me

m0tion
10-17-2002, 11:32 PM
Well, actually it's a dehumidifier conversion, so I suppose all of the stuff is "used". I still had to buy it though. The rest of the cost comes in with the freon I had to buy to fill it (R22), the evaporator coils I made, and the fan I bought for it (not a cheap fan btw). It also took me a long time to find a place that would fill it for me because I lack a vaccum pump and a set of gauges. Shipping I though was extremely fair concidering it pretty heavy =). Any way, this whole post has been way over-analyzed. No offense taken from either of you, I'm sure I'll be getting advice from you guys when it comes time to start building my new system.

aenigma
10-17-2002, 11:40 PM
Oh a dehumidifer compressor, I see.And I know what you mean about those fans, they are pretty spendy.I know someone that got the same fan for like 10 bucks, talk about a 1 time thing.

Oh btw this whole post wasnt about you or your system, it was a personal matter that should have been settled in AIM instead of here.

I will help you with your system when the time comes, and punisher will also "help" by basically quoting things I have said. hahaha

|PuNiSh3R|
10-17-2002, 11:43 PM
yea.. those fans are expensive.. i bet you paid atleast 40.00 bux for it.. and shipping on a system .. yours is probably like 40lb's right? I bet it wasn't 5 bux to get it charged.. like you said.. this is your first phase change venture right? You probably put a good penny out.. so getting 150 for it is probably just part of what you put out total.. anyway.. if you can change that stuff around that i said.. you'd be doin good.. btw.. i have the connections with the local refrigeration places.. so i can go in and get good prices on all my stuff.. which is nice.. when I need a compressor i go up to this local appliance place that has good.. almost new compressors.. i get them for darn cheap too.. i haven't ripped anything from a frige in a while.. and things like condensers and evaporators from AC units and stuff.. they work perfectly well as a second hand setup.. Why waste that stuff? although i am looking for a source to get the type and size of condensers I need.. be nice.. cuz then I don't gotta cut stuff up and braze it back together.. etc..

|PuNiSh3R|
10-17-2002, 11:44 PM
hey aenigma.. think you can stop the personal attacks already?

IFMU
10-17-2002, 11:48 PM
2 Comments here.
First off, guys, please. No flames, and dont step up and in screaming who started it yada yada. To be honest, I dont care.
However, we do not tolerate flaming. So, everyone, chill.
Thank you come again.

Next, m0tion ~ Welcome to the Xtreme! Dont think I said that to yea yet so thought Id throw that out there to yea. Wish I could help with the phase stuff, but that is all beyond me.
Next, heh, Ill prolly get fubared for this, but I noticed you live in Columbia SC? Ever hear of Goose Creek? Heh, believe it or not I grew up there many many years ago.. heh... dunno.. just real bored... ok ok Im done now. =)

IFMU

JBELL
10-18-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by IFMU
2 Comments here.
First off, guys, please. No flames, and dont step up and in screaming who started it yada yada. To be honest, I dont care.
However, we do not tolerate flaming. So, everyone, chill.
Thank you come again.

IFMU

hehe get it..? CHILL! !BUAHAHAHA

ok seriously - NO FLAMMING OR I START FLAMMING ON THE FORUM MASKS HERE!

thank you and welcome to the sickness...

Now behave ;) :banana:

m0tion
10-18-2002, 05:36 AM
Yea, I know Goose Creek =). Good to hear from a former SC resident, great state isn't it?