PDA

View Full Version : Unstoppable Pop-ups, please help

deerhunter
06-22-2004, 11:14 AM
I have adshield installed on my IE software and all of the latest updates on my WinXP Pro system.
I have been getting some annoying pop-up windows that I can not stop. Adshield blanks out the ad but the window still comes up.

I checked the properties and they are always from this place:
xlime.offeroptimizer.com/xxxxxxxyaddaxxxyadda

Anyone got some ideas to help me?

Thanks

Assasin-uk
06-22-2004, 11:31 AM
Microsoft has released service pack 2 for windows xp pro (get it from the windows update site)

Although this is a beta and used at owners risk, i have found it to be a valuble tool against pop-ups as it blocks them automaticly..

Its a beta but i think its worth it..the service pack also includes many other updates.. firewall etc etc..

Got get it..:D

John Cena
06-23-2004, 01:40 PM
I would rather download FireFox from www.mozilla.org

deerhunter
06-23-2004, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the info.
I just used a System Restore point from two weeks ago and all is well.

The VTech
06-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Get Spybot and lock your home page and run the host blocker and resident sheild. Also Spy Sweeper has some cool features in it to help keep things from getting out of hand.

deerhunter
06-24-2004, 04:53 PM
Got the Spybot now and Winpatrol doggie in my tray! heehee

WesM63
06-24-2004, 07:57 PM
The best method for removing annoying pop-ups which is caused by spyware 90% of the time is this:

Download Adaware6 and spybot.
Reboot, go into safemode. Run adaware and spybot.
Run msconfig, select diagnostic start-up. Reboot.
Run adaware and spybot again.
Undo changes in msconfig, Reboot.

When you go back into windows, if your still getting them, run msconfig again and disable anything in startup that you don't know what it is.

You will eventually get rid of the spyware/pop-ups.

Rodzilla
07-21-2004, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by WesM63
The best method for removing annoying pop-ups which is caused by spyware 90% of the time is this:

Download Adaware6 and spybot.
Reboot, go into safemode. Run adaware and spybot.
Run msconfig, select diagnostic start-up. Reboot.
Run adaware and spybot again.
Undo changes in msconfig, Reboot.

When you go back into windows, if your still getting them, run msconfig again and disable anything in startup that you don't know what it is.

You will eventually get rid of the spyware/pop-ups.

What he said! Good advice! Also... I recommend Pop-Up Stopper (http://www.download.com/Pop-Up-Stopper-Free-Edition/3000-7786-10298195.html?tag=lst-0-2) and Ad-Aware6 (http://www.download.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=ad-aware+6+scan+your&tg=dl-20&search.x=20&search.y=6) They are tried an true! :) Ad-Aware 6 Pro is worth buying... or however you want to aquire it ;) It has real time protection and acts just like an Anti-Virus software program. Also... I would hold off on Nixing programs in msconfig just because you don't know what they are... Anti-Virus & firewall software don't like that. Instead... Google it baybe!!!:stick:

XanderF
07-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Rodzilla
What he said! Good advice! Also... I recommend Pop-Up Stopper (http://www.download.com/Pop-Up-Stopper-Free-Edition/3000-7786-10298195.html?tag=lst-0-2) and Ad-aware 6.0 (http://www.download.com/Ad-aware/3000-8022-10214379.html?tag=lst-0-1) They are tried an true! :) Ad-Aware 6 Pro is worth buying... or however you want to aquire it ;) It has real time protection and acts just like an Anti-Virus software program. Also... I would hold off on Nixing programs in msconfig just because you don't know what they are... Anti-Virus & firewall software don't like that. Instead... Google it baybe!!!:stick:
I think that's assumed in the 'you don't know what it is' comment.

If you don't know OFFHAND what it is....Google it. If it's not something you need, nuke it. That gets rid of a LOT of spyware.

More ties in with your OS - hence, why Ad-Aware (et al) are good stuff.

As to popups....well, I'm just running the Yahoo toolbar in IE...seems to work just fine.

[XC]thewildblue
07-24-2004, 02:24 PM
A good tip also if you know the site addy, add it to your hosts file as 127.0.0.1 then it will come up blank.

C:\windows\systeme32\drivers\etc\hosts

Tedinde
07-24-2004, 02:29 PM
Adaware, spybot, and a free popup killer. I use www.toolbar.google.com for a good free one. Plus i use the google toolbar, Nice autofill, and if you install with the advanced features disabled, Then no spyware of it's own.

Kills all the popups.

Tedinde
07-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Deerhunter?? i havnt seen your name in a while. I just noticed who i was resonding to. Where have you been. Hope you've been doing OK.

Still got the Tshirt.

tylerhskate
07-24-2004, 03:39 PM
use spysweeper and boot it at startup, it has IE shield, mail shield, and all this other stuff and whenver it detects spyware it removes it automatically and you dont even have to scan unless you feel you have spyware on your comp...Also have spybot for backup or for an extra protection

Rodzilla
07-24-2004, 04:44 PM
All of this is great stuff guys! Keep up the good work!

I would just like to touch on a couple more points here...

Despite what the creators of Spyware will tell you, Spyware is harmful!! I have always said that Spyware should be treated just like viruses! Some of it can be very malicious and destructive. The creators of Spyware should be persecuted just the same as ppl who write Trojans and viruses! As a matter of fact... Norton Anti-Virus 2004 is starting to treat Spyware as a virus. The Scans, e-mail protection, and real-time scans all detect it and treat it just like a virus now. (Thank you Symantec!) Now we just need to get some laws on our side!

90% of the computer work I do is because of Spyware. Just today I went to the big Bosses house and his daughter’s computer was absolutely immobilized by Spyware. Hell... I have a PC right under my desk from a customer that got TOTALLY hosed by Spyware. And it's going to cost this guy money... money he could be using for any number of things...

Every chance I get to educate users about Spyware, I take it. So pass it on everyone... Few ppl see Spyware for what it really is. It's an attack on our free time, privacy, and money! This reply is being typed out on a system that cost thousands of $$... I've spent countless hours working on it... Working to earn the money to build it... The last thing I want is some :censored: borking it up with his Spyware...

Fight the good fight peeps!

:sick: Spyware

masterofpuppets
07-25-2004, 12:56 PM
Simple answer: use FireFox or Mozilla.