PDA

View Full Version : Any Cable modem tweaks out there?

Doplh3
06-19-2004, 07:38 PM
Hey guys,
I'm using roadrunner right now and it's running a little slow, any suggerstions/tweaks I can do that will speed it up?

shafty
06-19-2004, 08:37 PM
i work with cable all day long. its my job and it sucks. the only way to make sure you getting the fastest speed possible is make sure you dont have any packet loss. call the cable company and say you connection is slow and they run one for you. also if you installer was a dumb:banana: :banana: :banana: he may have hooked up the modem with a weak signal. and when the temperature goes up you signal goes down. type this in IE 192.168.100.1 it should tell your signal levels if your not hooked up through a router. only some modems will display levels. which modem do you have?

megahurtz-oc
06-20-2004, 01:24 AM
hey shafty whats a good signal to noise ratio? or power level?

Doplh3
06-20-2004, 02:57 PM
I've got a moterola sb4200 surfboard cable modem.

What about TCPOptimizer.exe? Is that a cable modem tweaking tool and how do I use it?

shafty
06-20-2004, 07:54 PM
well a good Forward Data Carrier is -10 to +10. Signal to Noise should be above 26. and the Return Data Carrier has to be below 54. if its above 54 you connection will drop all the time.

Digital Boxes use the RDC (Return Data Carrier) to send infomation back to your cable company. like when you order pay per view. block the RDC and order all the movies you want :banana: i'm glad i know how to block it. only a $3 part