PDA

View Full Version : Got a brand new spare xp2400 laying around and

Road_Runner
10-10-2002, 08:34 PM
a KR7-A Raid mobo. My new KD-7 won't boot and is going back to Newegg.

In the meantime, will this xp2400 work in my KR7-A? If the answer is it dpeneds on revision number 1.0 vs 1.1, how do you know what revision your board is?

From what I've seen some say you can pencil unlock the L3 and get certain multipliers.

Anyone know the deifinitive word here? I'd love to use this xp2400 until my replacement kd-7 comes.

Marci
10-11-2002, 01:24 AM
Er.... I'd do what I refer to as the "full compatibility" unlock... join the relevant 2 pins on the underside, then every L3 bridge which has a pit... Icee or Opp will be able to help you better seeing as they discovered this method....

OPPAINTER
10-11-2002, 12:00 PM
I don't know if the chip will work with the mod or not. I would try the pin mod and see if she boots. You should get multipliers up to 12.5 by doing just the the 2 pins, the L1s should come connected allready.

OPP

Road_Runner
10-11-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by OPPAINTER
I don't know if the chip will work with the mod or not. I would try the pin mod and see if she boots. You should get multipliers up to 12.5 by doing just the the 2 pins, the L1s should come connected allready.

OPP

Opp...thanks...got a link to the "pin mod"? Been out of the loop on these newer T-Breds

The Tinkerer
10-11-2002, 02:27 PM
Well, my experience with a Kr7A raid board version 1.0 and an XP2200+ (cpu model 680). By the way, you can find the revision number on the bottom side of the PCI 6 slot (I had to get a small makeup mirror from my wife to see it once the board is in the case!)

First, see this thread:

Now for what I personally know.

I did the L3 #5 bridge trick and the sucker will NOT boot up. I started to try the cutting of the L1s as recommended in this thread, and cut pretty deep to where I was seeing copper :eek: . I tried it again in the computer--no success. I now was pretty certain I had borked the cpu, but lo and behold, I put it back into my old A7M266 and it booted right up (ripped up L1s and all). I guess I was too timid to cut deep enough, and in any case, since the L3 #5 bridge did NOT work, who knows whether my version mobo will work with the other fixes listed in the above thread.

I have the bios 9N, which until recently was designated as XP2200+ compatible (now they have dropped that and have a bios B5 which apparently makes Kr7A raids work only up to XP2100+. This is one royal PR disaster in my opinion, as this KR7A board is much newer than my Asus A7m266, yet the A7M is running the XP2200+ as we speak!

We can only hope that Abit starts trying to solve this with bios, as there are a lot of angry Abit owners with recent vintage boards who cannot use the tbreds at all.