PDA

View Full Version : Mac G4/G5 tests???

Mini
06-15-2004, 01:22 AM
any1 know a test with a G4/g5 vs p4 and AMD...

Searched google the only i found was 1 made by Mac and thats just lame...

Jrocket
06-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Well, the shouldnt be in this section. But, I remember seeing one in maximumpc awhile ago. You might want to look around for that. Basically though, dual G5s won a couple tests against the top other offerings at the time.

***Deimos***
06-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Because, we all know that G4/G5 are too fast to be compared to P4/Athlon64. Since they're even faster than dual P4 3Ghz, you would need 6GHz P4 to match a G5. And forget about even trying to argue otherwise... having a Mac is like belonging to a religion (cult?)

But seriously, G5's are truely great.. but Apple execs keep shooting themselves in the foot with outlandish claims and rigged benchmarks, rather than focusing on their excellent G5 hardware and OS X.

lalPOOO
06-15-2004, 01:42 PM
The thing is its really hard to tell if the g5's are truly great. I have a feeling they get beat by 2 opterons, but since apple is constantly playing tricks its pretty hard to tell.

Troopah
06-15-2004, 02:42 PM
I'd say Mac is the real :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: and amd/intel is the dudes whose playin tricks on ye

WesM63
06-15-2004, 02:46 PM
lol, the only thing a mac will beat a P4 or AMD in is math intensive benchmarks. I think of them as gigantic calculators ;)

Jrocket
06-16-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by WesM63
lol, the only thing a mac will beat a P4 or AMD in is math intensive benchmarks. I think of them as gigantic calculators ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :p: :p: :p:

Yeah because they arent compatible with anything else

boshi
06-17-2004, 01:07 PM
I've heard rumors that the G4s are in fact faster than the G5s currently.

IvanAndreevich
06-29-2004, 08:10 AM
boshi
Hell, no! G4 is about as fast as a Duron. However, it might pwn a Celeron in some areas :D

bleeder
06-29-2004, 11:42 AM
I remember when there was all that controversy over the benchmarks, and there was one thing that had at least one good long look at it all with its own tests with top of the line rigs that came out cheaper etc to beat them alleged claims

you should be able to google it, add in 'controversy' or something

Jalmir
06-29-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by boshi
I've heard rumors that the G4s are in fact faster than the G5s currently.

nah ... the G4 line was a scam ... they said it was faster then an intel or AMD proc running at the same speed but that was not true. Of course the G4 is fast, but not as stated by Apple.

On the contrary, the G5 is a killer, if you have the chance to get one that work :D because the first rev. have a lot of problems ; not booting (need like 10 to 20 "reset" to get it boot!!!), not waking from long sleep, etc. etc. etc...

Heard that the second rev. is better ... time will tell!

boshi
06-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Jalmir
nah ... the G4 line was a scam ... they said it was faster then an intel or AMD proc running at the same speed but that was not true. Of course the G4 is fast, but not as stated by Apple.

On the contrary, the G5 is a killer, if you have the chance to get one that work :D because the first rev. have a lot of problems ; not booting (need like 10 to 20 "reset" to get it boot!!!), not waking from long sleep, etc. etc. etc...

Heard that the second rev. is better ... time will tell!

Well, actually AFAIK a 1.25GHz G4 is faster than a 1.25 athlon or P4. When I get one I'll have to test it against my AXP.

Jalmir
07-08-2004, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by boshi
Well, actually AFAIK a 1.25GHz G4 is faster than a 1.25 athlon or P4. When I get one I'll have to test it against my AXP.

ok, sorry for badly expressed myself ... in fact the equivalent PC for a Mac is not to be count in Mhz or Ghz, because at the same frequency Macs are faster due to their architecture... so your right! :p:

so a 1.25 Ghz is in fact slower then a 1.6 or 1.8 Ghz (or so) PC... it's equivalent and will be more fast then a 1.25 PC...

anyway, I'm not here to say that Macs sucks as I got a G3 that i want to upgrade to a G4 :D

it's just that the G4 where overranked... they said so after the first line of G5 were out!