PDA

View Full Version : Will this Kill My compressor???

GAMER512
06-14-2004, 09:10 AM
I heard someone say that if you don't tune your compresor 24/7 use would kill it. Ok will I have my chiller setup and I have the unit cycle because I have the thermometer in the water so I can set it to cycle at a certian water temp. So is this safe 24/7?

Gary Lloyd
06-14-2004, 09:51 AM
A compressor will last just as long or longer running 24/7 as it will running off and on.

If it isn't properly tuned, it won't last long. Period.

GAMER512
06-14-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Gary Lloyd
A compressor will last just as long or longer running 24/7 as it will running off and on.

If it isn't properly tuned, it won't last long. Period.

Ok then How do I tune it???

I'm abit confused, it's acting as it would if it were running like a normal window A/C unit so how does not tuning the compressor kill the unit. If you could explain this I would be greatfull.

saratoga
06-14-2004, 02:21 PM
If you're not getting oil back to the compressor or feeding the compressor liquid refrigerant you could damage it. Likewise if you overheat the compressor you might shorten its life. basically don't do anything stupid :)

GAMER512
06-15-2004, 06:43 AM
I've noticed that it cycles every 15 minuntes and the compressor does have time to cool down, because it's cool to the touch after a few minutes after clycling.

I still don't feel like my question was anwsered.

kayl
06-15-2004, 04:01 PM
properly tunned, so its matched to a given load for constant operation, so its not overcharged, ie at idle compressor freezes over, and not too undercharged at full load (not overheating)

compressors run best hot, but not too hot to burn oil