PDA

View Full Version : Got Chiller Started, Need Question Answered Quickly!!!

computerpro3
06-13-2004, 08:28 AM
Hi,
Well I started my chiller finally out of an old dehumidifier. The compresser health is fine (no frost or anything) and it works great. But when I took off the case, there was no evap that looked like the guide I was following. There is, however, a large heat exchanger (I think thats what it is) that looks like a radiator that gets all frosted up. It also has a fan attached to it. So here's my question; do I just bend the tubing and plop the heat exchanger in my huge resevoir? Can I just get rid of the fan? Thanks a ton for the help. Pics coming soon!!!

computerpro3
06-13-2004, 08:59 AM
heres the pics:

Can this thing be used for any type of waterchilling?:confused:

Gary Lloyd
06-13-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by computerpro3
Hi,
Well I started my chiller finally out of an old dehumidifier. The compresser health is fine (no frost or anything) and it works great. But when I took off the case, there was no evap that looked like the guide I was following. There is, however, a large heat exchanger (I think thats what it is) that looks like a radiator that gets all frosted up. It also has a fan attached to it. So here's my question; do I just bend the tubing and plop the heat exchanger in my huge resevoir? Can I just get rid of the fan? Thanks a ton for the help. Pics coming soon!!!

Yes... and Yes. :D

Be very careful bending the tubing. That's the hardest part. Also, unlike ambient water cooling, when you chill below ambient temp, the smaller the res the better.

computerpro3
06-13-2004, 09:39 AM
so there is no condensor in this dehumidifier????

computerpro3
06-13-2004, 09:59 AM
crap...I just snipped off the fan wires and now the damn thing won't freeze up anymore...what gives? One thing I noticed is that there was 3 wires goiong to the fan...and one was yellow. The yellow wire also conected to an rectabgular object in the back of the casing...this worries me. It looks like a holding tank of some kind. Oh, don't worry, its not a cap tube. I just wanna know why the hell its not frosting up.

Gary Lloyd
06-13-2004, 10:11 AM
There are two heat exchangers. One is warm. That's the condenser. The other is cold. That's the evaporator. Disconnect the evaporator fan. Do not disconnect the condenser fan. Possibly the two heat exchangers are sandwiched together, and use the same fan. If so, you need to separate them and put the cold one in your res.

computerpro3
06-13-2004, 10:40 AM
your not gonna believe this, it sucks. You were right about the sandwiching. I totally dismantled the surrounding shroud and top panels so I could see inside of it, and lo and behold, to save money and space, they connected the damn things. They are the SAME metal structure with about 1 inch of space in between them. No way to seperate them without sawing through multiple tubes. Time to get a new dehumidifier. Any suggestions on one easy to mod that is relativley cheap?

BTW this compressor was a nice one....r22....damnit.

kayl
06-13-2004, 04:34 PM
an airconditioner is easier, but if you had the tools you could make a copper coil evap and reuse the compressor and condensor

computerpro3
06-13-2004, 04:43 PM
wel the condensor and evap are one....its really weird. Ive never seen anything like it before.