PDA

View Full Version : Figuring out a wireless G network along with 8 ports

BMORIN
06-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Need a creative networking solution. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm an absolute novice in doing this, but enjoy doing it.

Here's what I have
6 computers and 1 copier all connected together on a 8 port hub (no internet) (everything cat5). It's just a simple peer to peer network.

Here's what I need to do:
Hook onto a wirelessG router with a satellite broadband connected to it so I can share the broadband over the network both wirelessly and to a possible 8 hardwired computers

I also need something to expand the range of the wireless because the access point will be a little more than 300 feet where some need to access it. My router will be downstairs in a far corner of the building and most the work takes place upstairs about 500 ft away or so. It is a steel building if that makes any difference.

I don't know if there are any 8port wireless routers out there (can only find 4 port), if not, what do I need to put together to accomplish what I need. I have a wirelessB network in my home but too ignorant to know how to expand the range or add another access point to expand my coverage.

I know it's probably some simple solutions, but I would appreciate any advice.

Thx

John Cena
06-11-2004, 03:19 PM
Well, what your talking is going to be heavy in the $$$.

There is NO 8 port wireless routers. A wireless router can accept as many connections as you want ASlong as each computer has a wireless network card.

Get your self a wireless router, and 8 wireless network cards.
To increase asscess point coverage, take a laptop withyou ALL over the building/house and see where the connection is lost/or is weak.

At that point add another wireless router and go around the building and find another weak point and add another wireless router.

Although a small building would only require 2 wireless routers.

So it would go like this

Satellite modem > Wireless router

BUT another question. If you have a satellite connection, why would you need a wireless router? All you need is wireless network cards in all of your 8 computers and you can ascess the internet.

BMORIN
06-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Whenever I add another wireless router in teh areas where the connection is lost or weak, how do I set that up? Do I run a cat5 line from the original wireless router to the one where I need a stronger connection?

John Cena
06-12-2004, 03:16 AM
hmm I'm not 100% sure on this

Now, if your able to run a cat5 from the wireless to another wireless router then do so. If you can't try placing another wireless router in thw weak area, and ascess the config panel of that router to get a satellite connection.