PDA

View Full Version : Gary's Chiller #3

S_I_N
06-11-2004, 10:40 AM
Ok I'm the lucky S.O.B. that bought Gary's latest chiller and all I can say is wow. Filled it up for a leak test to make sure shipping didnt hurt it. And it went from 23.6c to -1.1 in 5 mins -16 in 10 mins -28 in 13 mins :)

S_I_N
06-11-2004, 10:51 AM
ok after 25 mins -46 :)

S_I_N
06-11-2004, 11:05 AM
added some dye to fluid to make sure pump was not froze up seems to hit its peak after 35 mins :) -47.3 this is fluid temp I dropped a temp probe in the rez.

Gary Lloyd
06-11-2004, 11:44 AM
Glad to see it arrived okay. Seems you may not need that timer after all. Just wait 15 minutes and then boot it. :D

S_I_N
06-11-2004, 12:18 PM
yup I'm thinking the same thing. Walk in door turn on chiller get into comfy clothes grab a brewski hehe and bootup and go

Arkangyl
06-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Wow... nice looking setup Gary.

S_I_N mind posting some pics of the whole setup once its all insulated?

Gary Lloyd
06-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Get some insulation on those hoses. You're warming it up... LOL

S_I_N
06-11-2004, 12:57 PM
lol yeah I'll def be posting more pics that was just the leak test to make sure nothing broke in shipping. I used to unload/load for UPS along time ago I know how "gentle" they are. I'll be setting it up over the coming week waiting on my gpu block to come in. Not sure if I want to trust my old sytle dangerden block with a poly top to this extreme a temp. I have a swifty mcw50 coming hopefully tomorrow but most likely monday. Plus I still need to spray my mobo down with the konform and all that good protective stuff. But no sweat I bought 10' of 2 diff sizes of pipe wrap at home depot the other day it'll be double wrapped.

runmc
06-11-2004, 06:34 PM
Awesome results on the chiller S I N . Gary just keeps getting better and better.:eek:

chilly1
06-11-2004, 07:11 PM
What is the loaded temps?

S_I_N
06-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Load temps to come hoping my gpu block arrives tomorrow. But most likely monday. I spent the evening spraying down the mobo with Konform and wrapping my cpu block. My purdy precious maze4 is unreconizable now :( still have a few touches to go on it. But I'm thinking do it on the mobo so I can get the bolts on without any hindrance

afireinside
06-11-2004, 08:49 PM
Is that duct tape its sitting on? :D

Arnt you worred about the plexi hold down cracking?

S_I_N
06-11-2004, 10:37 PM
no thats the lid for the konform. Its a maxe4 copper top model the only part thats plexi is the hold down part. so basically it has a copper and poly top lol

Redwolf
06-12-2004, 10:15 AM
Hahaha.. made it out of a Window shaker. Very nice. :)

Gary Lloyd
06-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Redwolf
Hahaha.. made it out of a Window shaker. Very nice. :)

Window shakers have some advantages. When mounted in a window, the heat and noise are outdoors, and it gets a boost in cool weather. Jamaljaco's chiller (TECHChiller #1) hit -72C no load on a cool night. :D

S_I_N
06-12-2004, 05:23 PM
well the gpu block showed up today and it was a tec block and since I wasnt sure if I could take out the tec (mcw50-t) and run it and since it didnt come with barbs. I opted to go cpu alone for now. Hers a pic of everything wrapped now its cooling down and I'm about ready to power it up. I had the pump running the entire time I was wrapping the lines so its having to drag it down for way above ambient. Fir those that dont believe pumps add heat to the loop ambiet was 22c chiller rez fluid was 29c

S_I_N
06-12-2004, 06:26 PM
so far real sweet -43.9 fluid temp -20cpu temp idle and -12cpu load

S_I_N
06-12-2004, 06:41 PM
and wootage new oc high

oc_nightmare
06-13-2004, 12:11 AM
how much liquid does the reservatoir have?

btw are u using methanol?

cheers:toast:

afireinside
06-13-2004, 08:30 AM
Awesome :D You dont look like you have much insulation... I have twice as much aiming for -30C or so 29C ambiant tho.

S_I_N
06-13-2004, 09:15 AM
I'm using straight denatured alcohol. Upon Gary's suggestion since glycol slushes up at these temps. the whole setup holds about half a gallon. I bought a gallon and a quart. still havent opened the quart and the gallon can is still about a third full and that was after a post shipping leaktest where I lost some upon draining out the dyed alcohol.

believe it or not I did but enough to wrap it twice but getting the first wrap on was quite the challenge. and the lines are not sweating and I can not feel cold radiating from it so I dont think I'm losing anything with just one wrap. I did have to rewrap the pump seems I got a little thin in a couple spots and had condensation ontop of the chiller. the peak fluid temp so far at 1.75vcore cpu olny loop is -42c cpu is at -19 at that point. I gamed for about 2 hours last night and when I shut down game temps were at -12c for cpu.

Godfather84
06-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Awesome as always bro ;)

afireinside
06-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Well I got my rig hooked up to my window AC chiller but I think I'm gona bring it up to my room and Vmod than wait till I finish my good chiller. I lost half of my window AC chiller fluid and its green with crap floating in it :\

3 layer wrap of armaflex on block and like 3/4" on tubes.

kayl
06-13-2004, 03:48 PM
hey S_I_N i seen you in the tec forum lots dont you have a 226w to put in the maze4, i wonder what temps you would get with that combo at the cpu?

S_I_N
06-13-2004, 09:27 PM
with tecs theres a point of diminishing returns. Once you get to xx level water no matter how much colder you throw at it nothing helps. Besides the main reason I wanter to go chiller is I can do multiple things from one extra power source I.E. the chiller. It'll handle my cpu gpu cooling needs just fine and should still keep me under 10c temps

kayl
06-14-2004, 06:49 AM
i was wondering under full load what power measurements, can your measure it with a multimeter?

S_I_N
06-14-2004, 12:01 PM
hmm thats an interesting question. I dont know how to measure that but I havent heard it cycling on and off. I ran a game for 6 hours and had load temps down to -6c and my vc up to 56c (not on chiller YET!!)

kayl
06-15-2004, 04:37 PM
so does the compressor cycle on and off or does it run constantly, i know that gary has the fan running off the thermostat to take advantage of the cool air outside only having the fan in operation when need so its quieter, have you setup it up in the window

i cut an extension cord in half and stuck multimeter in there to measure current draw from the mains.
power= volts x current

S_I_N
06-15-2004, 07:31 PM
this thing is so quiet I really cant say if it cycles or not I've had the fan controller set at 3 and 5 now and still cant tell lol.

no I cant window mount it for a couple reasons 1) I live in an apartment building not sure if its cool to do or not. 2) the window is about 12ft from my comp desk. 3) I live in Texas the air outside will definatly give me crappy temps.

S_I_N
06-18-2004, 11:22 AM
well got the gpu block on it yesterday. And learned why its not good to leave it running when the comp is off. I had frost covering my vc and about a 1/2 to 1 inch radius around the agp slot. Now my mobo is sprayed down with silicon konform as is my vc so I doubt I hurt anything but I'm definatly going to be leaving it unpowered til I'm sure its dry.

Temp -18cpu -11gpu idle -9cpu 11gpu load. chiller showing -20c on a probe attached to the tubing so not a good reading for that. I'll redo chiller temp this weekend with probe in rez.

But I'm still stoked by it. Its everything I thought it'd be. BTW running series on blocks cpu>gpu

DoGMaN
06-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Nice man! Very nice. :D

S_I_N
06-18-2004, 01:12 PM
yup I am very pleased. Been looking for this solution for sometime now glad I found these forums (well was showed) and got in on it. Been a very helpful experience

S_I_N
06-21-2004, 06:46 AM
welp things took a bad turn sunday afternoon when I went to fire it up. My pump died(Aqua 2600) :( I think I had a hidden air pocket somewhere within the loop. I suspect the rez. Since I could when I first filled it see all the lines. And case rotation during bleeding should of knocked any air out of blocks.

Anyway I put in my second strongest pump an Ehiem 1025. Things seem to be alot different with this new pump in the fluid no longer rises in the rez when i shut it down (my first clue there was air before) Temp wise I'm close to the same. -20cpu and -25gpu. I'm loving it. Dont know what diff the pump had on my gpu block but it seems to be getting colder than the cpu now. which is fine by me lol.

Anyway Mad Props to Gary on this chiller its totally farkin awesome.

UnderWare1213
06-21-2004, 09:07 AM
Can I see some pictures of insulating the blocks? Just trying to get some ideas...thanks.

S_I_N
06-21-2004, 01:10 PM
I have the cpu block posted already I know not a good pic I'll snap a pic of the products I use to wrap my blocks with later tonight.

UnderWare1213
06-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Gary Lloyd
06-21-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by S_I_N
welp things took a bad turn sunday afternoon when I went to fire it up. My pump died(Aqua 2600) :( I think I had a hidden air pocket somewhere within the loop. I suspect the rez. Since I could when I first filled it see all the lines. And case rotation during bleeding should of knocked any air out of blocks.

Anyway I put in my second strongest pump an Ehiem 1025. Things seem to be alot different with this new pump in the fluid no longer rises in the rez when i shut it down (my first clue there was air before) Temp wise I'm close to the same. -20cpu and -25gpu. I'm loving it. Dont know what diff the pump had on my gpu block but it seems to be getting colder than the cpu now. which is fine by me lol.

Anyway Mad Props to Gary on this chiller its totally farkin awesome.

Preferably the fill tube should be the highest point in the coolant circuit. The tiniest leak above that point will suck in air when the pump is off, and cause the coolant to drain back to the res, forming an air pocket. In particular, the pump should be below the chiller connections, so that there is always coolant at the pump inlet.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=468775

S_I_N
06-22-2004, 06:30 AM
true dat Gary. I've been meaning to put the pump on the desk between the case and chiller but the by the time I remember to do it the lines are to stiff lol. That and my router sits there atm need to find a longer cat5 cable so I can move it as well.

kayl
06-22-2004, 05:50 PM
well got the gpu block on it yesterday. And learned why its not good to leave it running when the comp is off. I had frost covering my vc and about a 1/2 to 1 inch radius around the agp slot. Now my mobo is sprayed down with silicon konform as is my vc so I doubt I hurt anything but I'm definatly going to be leaving it unpowered til I'm sure its dry.

Temp -18cpu -11gpu idle -9cpu 11gpu load. chiller showing -20c on a probe attached to the tubing so not a good reading for that. I'll redo chiller temp this weekend with probe in rez.

But I'm still stoked by it. Its everything I thought it'd be. BTW running series on blocks cpu>gpu

hey do you dialetric grease you agp slot

S_I_N
06-23-2004, 05:50 AM
yup agp slot was well lubed inside and out. I filled the gap between the mobo and plastic agp retiner as well.

kayl
06-23-2004, 07:25 AM
sweet

S_I_N
06-23-2004, 07:48 AM
yeah didnt want to risk my 624core x800pro to stupidity and not proff correctly

HawainPanda
06-24-2004, 01:20 AM
so ur using methanol?...are there any better liquids to use?
very sweet btw :D

S_I_N
06-24-2004, 06:44 AM
nope using 100% denatured alcohol. As per Gary's recommendation.

Playful_Buffalo
07-01-2004, 06:18 AM
dont let you graphics card stay unchilled :( its sad

S_I_N
07-02-2004, 11:14 PM
naw never unchilled :) it is sitting at -32 atm :D I'm loving it.

Surepu
07-05-2004, 08:00 AM
S_I_N its cool sistem? Am hawe -3C but its pelt. module/

OCme
07-08-2004, 10:33 AM
I'm having trouble understanding your temps... why is your GPU colder than your CPU? is your chiller chilling your GPU 1st?

JSU
07-08-2004, 01:49 PM
prolly because the amount of cooling capacity it takes to cool down a gpu is less than the cpu. So if you have 2 blocks with the same c/w the one with less watts to get rid of will get colder......

(just a guess)

OCme
07-08-2004, 02:26 PM
That would make sense if he has the out from the pump split with a Y connector with the same temp liquid going to each the cpu & the gpu... If he is running his system in series then the liquid would be warmed 1st by the cpu dissipating anywhere from 150-200 watts and then you would have the additional approx 70 watts of heat from the gpu to dissipate. And if that's the case something’s not right with the way the vc is reading his temps.

JSU
07-08-2004, 07:19 PM
btu what is a good way to read you gpu temps if there is no built in probe?

I see what your saying......

JSU
07-08-2004, 07:19 PM
wouldnt that situation be changed with a higher flow pump even if it did go to the cpu first?

OCme
07-09-2004, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by JSU
btu what is a good way to read you gpu temps if there is no built in probe?

I see what your saying......

I'm curious too how he is getting his temps... S_I_N how r u getting your temps is it by a utility or by meter? and how r u running your chiller in series or parallel?

snowwie
07-09-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by OCme
That would make sense if he has the out from the pump split with a Y connector with the same temp liquid going to each the cpu & the gpu... If he is running his system in series then the liquid would be warmed 1st by the cpu dissipating anywhere from 150-200 watts and then you would have the additional approx 70 watts of heat from the gpu to dissipate. And if that's the case something’s not right with the way the vc is reading his temps.

um, well, it depends on the flowrate, waterblock design, water temp, heat load, etc., but usually the temp diff. of the fliud between the inlet and outlet of the waterblocks is pretty small, much less than 1C i think.

it makes no never mind which is first in the loop, the heat load from the cpu is much more than that from the gpu, so no matter which way you configure it, the gpu temps are almost always colder than the cpu temps.

beathoven
07-10-2004, 10:38 PM
cute :D

(907)FAN-BOY
07-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Good to hear you got that all setup good and nothing hurt:) I wanna see some higher oc's and more benchies;)

S_I_N
07-11-2004, 11:24 AM
sorry havnet checked this section in a few days lol.

my blocks are in series cpu first then gpu.
I'm using ATI tool and MBM for temp monitoring.

blocks are maze4-1 minus the tec and coldplate copper topped on the cpu and a mcw50 on the gpu.

fanboy cant go anoy higher without vmods on the mobo. still undecided if I'm going to try and have it modded. I am totally happy with the way its performing now.

Russell_hq
07-25-2004, 11:03 PM
From a heat exchange stand point you may be better running the chilled fluid through the gpu first then cpu. It would be interesting to see the results for this. Nice setup by the way and nice job with the chiller Gary, congrats man.

S_I_N
07-26-2004, 08:56 AM
well I lost my x800pro to a bad flash so I now have a 6800gt and since wb are lacking ATM its running air. And prolly wont see the chiller anytime soon. Dangerden is about to release a waterblock but with all its poly I doubt it's be suitable for sub-zero temps. So it will be straight water for now. But I rewrwpped the block and lines over the weekend after almost losing the 6800gt and I did notice a 6c drop in water temps resulting in an additional -3c to the processor :) I'm happy where its at for now.

OCme
07-26-2004, 10:41 AM
well I lost my x800pro to a bad flash

bummer man...