PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to mod a vappo to get lower temp

Stinger
10-10-2002, 03:00 AM
bigger radiator? switch compressor? another fluid in compressor?

efreak
10-10-2002, 06:02 AM
Bigger compresser would be the best way. But if you to big then you will need a bigger condenser. Have to use the same freon.. If you change the freon out you will damage the seals in the compresser..

--efreak

TheDude
10-10-2002, 06:09 AM
On my old style Vapo, I added a fan on top front blowing IN on compressor and it dropped temps several degrees c....I first tried blowing out and it made no difference. I had the fan that came with it on rear blowing out, 2 on front blowing in and 1 rear bottom blowing out.... 5 minute mod that works!:D

sysfailur
10-11-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by TheDude
On my old style Vapo, I added a fan on top front blowing IN on compressor and it dropped temps several degrees c....I first tried blowing out and it made no difference. I had the fan that came with it on rear blowing out, 2 on front blowing in and 1 rear bottom blowing out.... 5 minute mod that works!:D

Yeah I would think that some more powerful fans would be a simple yet powerful solution. I don't know much about phase change, but that sounds like it'd work.

|PuNiSh3R|
10-11-2002, 09:02 PM
"Yeah I would think that some more powerful fans would be a simple yet powerful solution. I don't know much about phase change, but that sounds like it'd work."

Efreak.. what u talking about " seals on a compressor" just to let u know.. there are no seals on a hermeticly sealed compressor (the type we use).

The best way to actually get more out of your vapoöööö is to.. if possible put a more powerful (VAC not VDC) compressor in with a bigger condenser .. u don't need that much bigger though.. also.. you could just open the system up let the öööö r-134a out and put on access valves and fill with propane.. that would help too.. Maybe that crappy 12v compressor they use couldn't handle propane.. I wouldn't doubt it. Then stick another fan on the condenser.. but just putting a fan on alone won't really do crap.. the vapochill is made to suck.. just like the prometeia.. so don't expect much from your 500 dollars spent.. shoulda just saved your money and sent it to me for my birthday

TheDude
10-12-2002, 01:10 AM
but just putting a fan on alone won't really do crap

Adding a 120mm fan blowing in at the top will lower temps several degrees c...not a huge difference, but worth the simple addition of a fan.

efreak
10-12-2002, 08:16 AM
Propane in a R134 compressor wont last long!! Trust me.. I have been running phase cooling for a long time.. period

efreak
10-12-2002, 08:25 AM
Also dont matter what mods you do, i dont believe that r-134a is going to get you were you want to be. You may want to get an r22 compressor or even an R404A, but that öööö gets $$$$$

|PuNiSh3R|
10-12-2002, 08:43 AM
added noise.. bleh..

Why do u say that propane won't last long in an r-134a compressor? My concern is that the compressor won't be able to draw enough power from that 12v connector from your PSU to do propane because of propanes light weight.. Otherwise I see no reason for it not to work.. I haven't tried it myself.. I have an r-134a compressor here.. it's only a 1/20HP.. sometime I will get around to using it and I'll fill it with propane.

aenigma
10-12-2002, 11:10 PM
Yes propane will work in a R134 compressor.IIRC R290 runs cooler than R134a...