PDA

View Full Version : Getting all set up for chilling

idontknow
06-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Ok So far I bought a maze 4 GPU and CPU block for my xp2500/nf7-s/9800p, a 5200btu air conditioner, and a hydor L30. I also bought alot of neoprene and some dielectric grease. I was wondering what steps I needed to take in order to make my res chilled, like what parts of the a/c unit I need to submerge in my res. Also how should I go about keeping condensation off of my board and vid card? Can someone show me the best and cleanest way to keep my stuff from dying due to condensation?

bh2k
06-06-2004, 04:48 PM
Well when you open up the AC your going to notice to giant grills. The bigger one is the condensor and the smaller one is the evaporator. Remove the fan blades from the fan blowing over the evaporator and the evap should start to get very very cold (-26C for me) then using a pipe bending you want to bend the pipe conecting to the evap in to your res. Your res should have a liquid that is able to withstand temps of about -40C as when the evap is submerged it gets colder. Usually high grade anti freeze works fine, but make sure you convert F to C as most bottles have F on them and you need to know C
http://brainwashstudios.com/php/celsius.php
that url should convert anything for ya. Good luck ;)

idontknow
06-06-2004, 05:34 PM
thanks, the info I need now is how much I need to insulate and a guide showing a clean way to do so. Should I just leave my mobo and everything on my desk outside of the case? or leave it inside the case?

Titan151
06-08-2004, 11:05 AM
http://www.overclockers.com/tips326/

Here is one link from oc.com. It deals with peltiers but insulation for both is fairl similer. One thing you will wan't to do is insulate your tubing. I had a near disaster when filling my system. Water leaked onto the insulation then ran down onto the cpu. it dripped down and pooled up on the vid card. Luckily I had placed a piece of acrylic over the card and i simply wiped it off.

I would start by doing your cpu then testing it out. If that works good do up the vid card and check it out. Running everything outside of the case may not be a bad idea for initial testing.

One thing to remember, now any exposed metal connected to your cooling system will act as a warming device. So now you need to keep the cold in. For the vid card I would use a lot of conformal coating on the back and dielectric grease on the front. The grease can be removed, where as the silicon can be a pain in the ass. If you search around various web sites you should get some good info. There are some good articles at the procooling web site as well. Good luck with your setup. I have an aquarium chiller and am shopping around for a cheap AC unit.