PDA

View Full Version : problems making cd backups

Ewok
06-03-2004, 02:37 PM
im trying to backup some files on a network onto a cd (well dvd really but same difference for the pruposes of this problem).

The problem is some of these files ARE going to be in use when im doing these backups as theres dozens of other users that have access to the files.

I have tried latest nero and it writes fine, but gives a warning the file was in use by another process. go and look at the test file and youll see its just a blank file of the same size as the real file should be.

now these files may be in use, but that only means they are read-only for everyone else, so they CAN still be opened and CAN still be copied. So I see absolutely no reason why i would not be able to backup this stuff without any problem. I dont care if the files are in the middle of being updated, just bluddy copy whats there!!!!

so anyone have any idea how i can just grab the folders and tell ir to burn without it missing out every file that happens to be open at the time? I tried creating an image first, still does the same thing, it writes the file but the file is just a blank file of the same size as the original.

lalPOOO
06-15-2004, 08:58 AM
Why not copy the files off the network and onto your computer first and then burn the cd?