PDA

View Full Version : Network woes

John Cena
06-02-2004, 11:08 AM
I have a Laptop, a P4, and a AMD computer networked

Heres how the network goes

The DSL line runs to a Netgear 2 port Router. From the first port of the router, it runs to a 8 Port Switch. The link is on the first port. The P4 is on the second port, the amd is on the third port and the laptop is on the 4th port.

So I went to all the computers and shared all drivers, but when I goto networkplaces and click view work group computers, it gives me a error saying i dont have administrative rights or something(although iam on an administrator account)

I even reinstalled XP on the p4 and still the same thing.
On my amd however sometimes it would list the P4 computer but i cannot ascess it.

Anyone know how to set this up or fix it?

[XC]thewildblue
06-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Set all the administrators to have the same password. That sometimes helps. Also within windows XP its worth turning off simple file sharing. Tools - folder options - view. Also try attaching via IP address... eg click start run and type \\192.168.0.1\c$

That may help.

thetruememphis
06-02-2004, 12:15 PM
make shure you have the same workgroup name. caps count.!!!

John Cena
06-02-2004, 01:49 PM
They do have the same workgroup names

LOL having the same passwords??? LOL I dont think even MICROSOFT could be that lazy to fix that type of bug

All IP adress are attached to local area connection to ethernet

Heres what happens when I click view work group computers

[XC]thewildblue
06-02-2004, 10:20 PM
go the the command prompt and try and ping the other machines. If you cant do that then thats mostly your problem. Are they all in the same IP range ? Is XP firewall enabled on each NIC ?

John Cena
06-03-2004, 10:19 AM
XP firewall is enabled on all nics.

On the LAN ips, they are in the same range. Dont know about wan. Ill go home and check today

benonmsn
06-04-2004, 10:56 AM
xp firewall will block ALL network traffic to and from. it is very efficient, u turn it on and u will get no network sharing

Attitudx
06-08-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by benonmsn
xp firewall will block ALL network traffic to and from. it is very efficient, u turn it on and u will get no network sharing

I totally agree with this. I have 4 computers on a cable modem with a linksys 4 port router and see all of them fine no firewalls turned on since i have the firewall on my router and is amazing