PDA

View Full Version : Prometeia venture?

Svenn
10-07-2002, 08:18 AM
Okay, It's been about a month or two now, so it's time for upgrading :P After successful setup of my water cooling system (http://w3.mivlmd.cablespeed.com/~svenn/case1.jpg) (specs below, thanks for the 2200+ btw ) I am thinking of upgrading a) the cooling because I'm kind of disappointed with my speeds and b) motherboard, cpu, RAM, video card when released (nForce2, Athlon 2800+ Barton, 2x512 PC3200/3500, NV30). Sooo, this brings me to the question at hand... Which cooling setup should I attempt next? So far, from reading some of the posts here, Prometeia is looking to be good. I just have a few questions...
1) Can I attach the Prometeia to my current case (the one in the pic), possibly from the other chamber or does it need to be set up a specific way? And what are the dimensions? (I'm thinking it could possibly go under my case...
2) What setup does the Prometeia require from installation to condensation proofing?
3) What would be the best method of gpu/nb cooling with a prometeia?
4) How does this perform with real world applications? I like to overclock for competition, but my main application is for everyday use in gaming... If I run my Thoroughbred overclocked at -C 24/7, can I expect any damage or should it run okay?
That's all I can think of right now, thanks in advance, can't wait to start my next setup :)

Svenn
10-07-2002, 11:56 AM
No advice? Links to sites with explanations of Prometeia and/or Vapochill would be greatly appreciated...

|PuNiSh3R|
10-07-2002, 12:30 PM
You can check out my phase change article.. heh
www.subz3ro.net

Personally I'm getting a little tired of helping people with these pre-fab machines.. no offense. And I couldn't give you some of that info anyway cuz I ain't a pre-fab owner.

You could go to the manufactuers website though.. It's like.. chip-con.com and vapochill.com

Svenn
10-08-2002, 03:56 PM
Well, I put together my own water-cooling kit and case, to an extent... I've never done any of this stuff before so I'm trying to slowly step into it. My windows I had done for me... I did have to modify the inside of the case a little, and also cut a 120mm fan hole (which didn't turn out too well....). The water-blocks were pre-fab also... As much as I'd love to take a few sheets of metal and turn them into a super-cool machine, I lack 2 things... Time and knowledge, eheh... As for the phase change... If you don't like pre-fab, then perhaps you could tell me what is involved in building your own phase change setup? And can it be contained in something as small as the prometeia setup? Like I said, I hardly know what phase change is, let alone how to build a whole system. I'm trying to step slowly into it and learn it as I go...

Svenn
10-08-2002, 04:00 PM
Btw, I was at work the other day when I got the idea of turning a small refrigerator into a case... It looks like you've got something like that on your site there. Just wondering, how well does it cool? Perhaps I could mod a small refrigerator/freezer to hold my system... Have to do some major condensation proofing then probably...

aenigma
10-10-2002, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Svenn
Btw, I was at work the other day when I got the idea of turning a small refrigerator into a case... It looks like you've got something like that on your site there. Just wondering, how well does it cool? Perhaps I could mod a small refrigerator/freezer to hold my system... Have to do some major condensation proofing then probably...

Actually that is my site...
I am just hosting his article for him.That whole refrigerator I have I was going to use just for putting drinks in, but I may just throw my computer in it...If you have no moisture in the freezer, you wont have any condensation worries.
Now since I havent tested it, I dont know how well it cools, right now it is charged to handle a load.So it wont get extreme low temps,but it will keep things cold....
These sites should give you a good idea about phase change.

http://oberon.ark.com/~airekool/rb1.htm

http://www.howstuffworks.com/refrigerator.htm

Svenn
10-10-2002, 07:52 AM
Cool, thanks aenigma. I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I talked to |PuNiSh3R| and he's gonna build me a phase change system. I'm pretty excited about learning all this stuff, can't wait!