PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys use to insulate your tubing?

UnderWare1213
05-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Just wondering, since I'll have a chiller up soon. Also, where can I purchase the tubing insulation? Tried the Depot, but could not find the right stuff.

And neoprene foam...which thickness should I buy? http://dangerden.com/mall/Pelts/neoprene.asp

One last question: is it necessary to use dielectric grease or can I get away without using it? My chiller will probably only be around 0 degrees so it is not going to be so extreme.

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

iceman2g
05-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Well you can use vasoline in place of dielectirc grease that's what i've using for my chiller. Also Home Depot or any hardware store should have pipe insulation. You wanna use that for your tubing. You might wanna pick up so insulation tape as well (seal string). You don't have to buy neoprene you can just use old mouse pads (I stacked one piece on top of the other because my mouse was really thing), they use neoprene. Also why will you chiller only be 0c? Make sure to get some pics.

btw WELCOME TO XS. this is claytonicm we've spoken on aim.

UnderWare1213
05-30-2004, 11:25 AM
Yes, I remember you. Nice to see you here and thanks for the welcome.

I looked at www.mcmaster.com and searched for pipe insulation and found this "4734K115"
This is what I want, correct?

I think I'll just buy some neoprene from Danger Den since I don't have any old mouse pads, but which thickness should I use? This will be going on an A64, by the way.

I'll have some pictures when it's all done. Thanks for the help, iceman!

iceman2g
05-30-2004, 01:02 PM
If it'll fit 1/2" ID tubing then your good to go. If your only going to be a 0c then you don't need anything that's too thick. I'd say 1/8" should be good, you can always stack it if it isn't enough.

UnderWare1213
05-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Alright, thanks. I think I know what to purchase now.

One last question (for now): How should I insulate the block itself? It gets pretty wet after I run my chiller for a while.

saratoga
05-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Tube insulation is going to be determined by the tube's OD, not ID, since 1/2 ID tube can be 5/8 OD or 3/4 OD depending how thick it is.

iceman2g
05-30-2004, 03:47 PM
If he's using clearflex60 it's 3/4 OD and i've gotten 1/2"ID insulation to fit around it.

UnderWare1213
05-30-2004, 04:48 PM
Yup, that's the stuff I'm using.

I think I've got my plan set. Thanks for the responses.