PDA

View Full Version : How cold is TOO cold?

charlie
10-06-2002, 05:47 PM
All,
As I'm reading about extreme cooling, I recall seeing LN2 systems, do they run cooler than Prometeia and does anyone have a link to LN2 systems or reviews? And is there a limit to where a cpu just won't work cuz' it's too cold?
C

charlie
10-06-2002, 06:07 PM
Well I found a bit of info... rumor has it there's some guy who ran a xp2200 up to 3.7ghz...
And a p4 2.8 at 4ghz
And a bit more:
The stuff is crazy, eats cpu's and mobo's. It's a desktop science experiment only! No real application value. It's the overclocking "FREAK SHOW"!!!!!!!
C

Yodums
10-06-2002, 06:59 PM
I highly doubt that he ran his AMD 2200+ at 3.7ghz because if you haven't seen the new 2400+ @ 2.5ghz benchmarked (Approx 6900 MIPS on Sandra), then 3.7ghz on a T-Bred will break like 10K MIPS. The 4ghz P4 is not a rumour though, there's an article on that some where.

LN2 is way too cold, only used for a short period of time (Like hours). It brings the CPU down to like -200 degrees or almost. On one of the P4 Articles (4ghz one), it went down to -196 degrees. LN2 is evaporates too fast and you will damage the core running it beyond -50 degrees for a long period of time.

A prometeia will be better however I haven't seen them in use with AMD, I've only seen one in action really on a P4 ES 2.66 GHz C1 Stepping @ 3.556 GHz 250FSB CAS2-3-3 Corsair XMS PC3200 3.2vdimm. He actually crunches SETI on our Overclockers.com team which is the Xtremesystem team as well and he's got an all time low of 2hrs. A prometeia handles better load than Vapochill and from what I heard the compressor and evaporator and components altogether rule the Vapochill. However, for the price of those units, you'd be better off getting watercooling with like a 226watt peltier (Dual if you insist) and save yourself some cash while maintaining the same results just for abit more work.

Yodums

sysfailur
10-07-2002, 12:10 AM
Yes LN2 is much colder than Prometeia and the Vapochill, but it can only be run for a short time, as the method is that you pour it into a container latched on top of the CPU. Because it's open, it evaporates quickly and you don't get a long time to use it. Vapochills and Prometeias are great for long-term cooling. Yes the Prometeia has better cooling capability but the built quality of the Vapochill is better, and it's much more portable. The Prometeia on the other hand is quite heavy.

About damaging the CPU by running it -50C for a long period of time... it doesn't. And dual 226w pelt is going to be just as expensive as a Vapochill. You would need 2 dedicated power supplies, 2 pelts, a block capable of dual 226 (not many other there that can do that), and chilled water for sure. That would equal the price of a Vapo for sure.

Where to buy LN2 cooling? Well I am going to be selling LN2 containers as soon as I decide on a design @

Tweaked!
10-07-2002, 01:40 AM
Welcome to Xtreme, Yodums Are you going to be shooting for the highest post count here as well????;)

Yodums
10-07-2002, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Tweaked!
Welcome to Xtreme, Yodums Are you going to be shooting for the highest post count here as well????;)

LOL Thanks, my first welcome here. No, this is Yodums Rev. B which is quality over quantity ;)