05-26-2004, 01:43 PM
I just built a new system for my friend:
AMD Athlon xp 2500+
ABIT NF7-S
1 gig of OCZ
BTC CD-rom
WD 60gb 5400rpm HDD

heres the problem:

we had the harddrive on the top ide plug, and when we were trying to install windows, it would get all the way to setup and then say no HD detected

so i moved the cd rom to the top and put the HD on the bottom, and then the HD started working but the cd rom kept saying "Please remove any disks or other media. Press any key to cont." so we took out the windows CD and kept trying it over and over rebooting, changing boot order, still saying the same message.

The we tried putting both harddrive & cdrom on the bottom IDE (can you do that?) and we got the same message about media, then we tried a different cd rom we pulled that was working and it gave the same error

it sounds liek the top ide slot's not working, but when we put both on the bottom - it still wouldnt work

it also detects whatever we put on the top ide slot, but it doesnt work I.E. - hd was being read as a wd 600 but in bios it was blank - name only no space or head

any ideas on whats going on? Im gonna be gone for about 4 days so just post all your suggestions and I'll try them all one at a time when i return.

Charles Wirth
05-26-2004, 01:56 PM
Have you tried replacing the IDE cable?

Does the IDE cable have a notch where they removed a wire?

CDROM on slave, hard drive on master and the hard drive is on the end of the cable?

ocmyface
05-26-2004, 02:12 PM
yes, ive tried 2 different ide cables, and yes we set it up like you asked as well as the vica versa, and the cable does have the mid top wire removed

Charles Wirth
05-26-2004, 02:15 PM
Try a cable without the missing wire?

Set the CDROM on IDE1 as cable select and the hard drive on IDE2 as master/single

ocmyface
05-26-2004, 02:19 PM
well, we dont have any IDE cables without the missing pin, its the same pin thats gone form all ide cables, plus they are both new and one was being used in another firend's computer and was working fine

Charles Wirth
05-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Hmm, Ill poke a stick at abit to answer this thread.

pythagoras
05-26-2004, 02:29 PM
I have had this problem too:(

The solution for me was to just connect the hard drive boot system and let bios detect hdd. Shutdown system connect cdrom boot and let bios detect cdrom. Then set cdrom as first boot device, reboot with install cd and it worked.

Hope this works for you too.

Regards

John.

ocmyface
05-26-2004, 02:40 PM
ok pyth, i hope it works
ill tyr it later and let yall know if it does

Darkfold
06-01-2004, 02:59 AM
Also, sometimes the board dont like cable select. Try using manual jumper override. It solved my problems with a diff board, it might do for you

ocmyface
06-01-2004, 03:47 PM
nvm