PDA

View Full Version : Prometeia/R404a conversion??

efreak
10-05-2002, 05:04 PM
What do you all think about buying a prometeia and switching out the R134A compesser with a 1/2 hp r404a compresser. All that would have to be done is to cut the cap and suction line, resolder to the new compresser and fill with r404a.

Any thoughts??

|PuNiSh3R|
10-05-2002, 06:39 PM
Um.. you would need to adjust the system with new cap tube length and size possibly.. I don't know what R-404a uses as an oil in R-404a compressors.. So you might need to flush the condenser and evaporator with a cleaning agent to get the old ester or PAE (?) oil out.. And to really take advantage of the extra compressor power.. I would think that you'd want a bit more beefer condenser setup.. or atleast some good fans on the condenser.. But why go through all of that trouble? The new compressor wouldn't fit in the prometeia case anyway.. so you might as well build your own system using a waterblock as the evaporator.. and making your own case for it. Just my 2cents

UaZa
10-05-2002, 07:41 PM
punisher is right...... btw efreak, why u're so interested in a prometeia? i think your waterchiller own prometeia.. :p :D
dunno right now, but i remember some "3dmark bench bad".....

efreak
10-05-2002, 08:30 PM
I may just go ahead and build me a dual phase setup. I am just interested in the prometeia because of there nice work done on the evap black(microfreezer) Here is a pic of my old system

http://www.efreaked.com/cooling/IMG_0148.JPG

|PuNiSh3R|
10-05-2002, 09:02 PM
Is that condensation on your dryer? what temp what you get under full CPU load and idle..??

|PuNiSh3R|
10-05-2002, 09:03 PM
Oh, btw.. I like your design.. can you tell me about the reservior.. give me more pics or something.. looks nice and professional ..

efreak
10-05-2002, 09:21 PM
Yes that is ice... -50c no load, -20c under full load 2.3volts amd 2000+ old core(hot chip) That unit was a 1/3 hp r404a unit that i used to cool my cpu and video card as seen in the pic.. 5 gallon bucket holding the water with 3 layers of foam.

However the unit was sold 6 months ago when i stop benching for a while.. I will be back soon. Working on a dual unit that will hold temps below -60c on full load

UaZa
10-05-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by efreak
I may just go ahead and build me a dual phase setup. I am just interested in the prometeia because of there nice work done on the evap black(microfreezer) Here is a pic of my old system

http://www.efreaked.com/cooling/IMG_0148.JPG
yeap! thats what i was talking about ....ehehhe :):D

aenigma
10-06-2002, 11:47 AM
Everyone is copying my dual stage system :p
So now I am a pioneer woohoo hahaha

|PuNiSh3R|
10-06-2002, 12:37 PM
Uh.. wait wtf is your dual stage system again? using another larger unit to cool the smaller units condenser or something?

efreak
10-06-2002, 12:39 PM
What like this one?

http://www.efreaked.com/cooling/dualphase.jpg

I cam remember when there were only about 5 peps around with phase cooling

aenigma
10-06-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by |PuNiSh3R|
Uh.. wait wtf is your dual stage system again? using another larger unit to cool the smaller units condenser or something?

No 2 compressors in one loop, that one I built your thinking of is cascade...

My current one is 2 compressors, 1 high stage 3/4hp 1 low stage 1hp....

efreak:
Yeah phase change has really gotten big lately....

BTW is that a picture you found somewhere, or did you build it?

efreak
10-06-2002, 12:56 PM
That is one that i have at my work. It runs -70C under full load with 2 1/2 hp r404a compressers. I may copy off of there design. It is a pretty nice unit. Maybe i could just get my lab manger to give it to me :)

aenigma
10-06-2002, 12:58 PM
That is one that i have at my work. It runs -70C under full load with 2 1/2 hp r404a compressers. I may copy off of there design. It is a pretty nice unit. Maybe i could just get my lab manger to give it to me :)

Oh I see.What kind of temp probe do you use to record temps that low?I have no idea how low mine gets because my probe only goes to -51c....

What is that unit cooling?

efreak
10-06-2002, 01:01 PM
They have a digital gague on the front that reads the water temp. It is really a bath chiller to cool hot oil products for running test!!

aenigma
10-06-2002, 01:04 PM
Sweet, yank the temp probe for me :p
I am having the hardest time finding a temp probe....

efreak
10-06-2002, 01:07 PM
I wish dude....how about drawing up a nice diagram of your dual system. I am starting to buy my parts and need a liilt connection help!!

aenigma
10-06-2002, 01:10 PM
I wish dude....how about drawing up a nice diagram of your dual system. I am starting to buy my parts and need a liilt connection help!!
I think I have a picture of the ghetto ass beast :)
You could aim/icq me if you want....
I can give you some tips :)

efreak
10-06-2002, 01:12 PM
I dont have either!! Maybe you could drop by my forum so we dont fill up these boards with our discussion...

efreak

aenigma
10-06-2002, 01:14 PM
I dont have either!! Maybe you could drop by my forum so we dont fill up these boards with our discussion...

efreak

Doh ok well I also have msn and yahoo...
That is what these boards are for, discussion.And sicne no one ever posts here, why not put them to use? :)
I can drop by your forum though I guess...
Just make a thread or something...