PDA

View Full Version : Mr Icee - Right About Early KX-7's !

RoydRage
10-05-2002, 08:03 AM
Mr Icee,

I just wanted to thank you for the Info about the KX-7.... Now that I think about it, I rememeber you complaining about it way back on another forum....

I was going absolutely NUTS! With that board with the black caps... Nothing I could do with it. I could hardly get it to run Stock speeds...

How Googlegear sent me a New - Old Stock board like that I can't imagine!

Needless to say I'm crossing them of my places to shop list

But I'm Glad to say that the New KX-7 with the silver caps as you suggested That I bought at the White Plains show last week is running sweet.... I've got 1MHz FSB faster than my KR-7 1980Mhz! Not bad for an Air cooled rig... And I'm running 2 - 2/6/2 Enhanced on, But I still can't get go 1t Command..... Maybe the XMS 3200 C2 I just got is not a great example....

Going to try a XMS 3500..... With This New KD-7 / XP2200 / PSU.....

Should be interesting....

Thanks Man!

Royd

MrIcee
10-05-2002, 09:06 AM
Royd:)

It's great to hear that you've finally got one of da good ones:)

There is a BIG difference between these boards...I don'r care that those caps are the same spec or not..theres a DIFFERENCE.

One thing I found about the Winbond chipped ram is that on an Abit board it likes VOLTAGE, and more than a KX7 can provide. If you do the volt mod on the mem side..and supply that stick 3.0v to 3.2v...you'll be quite surprised in the difference of the rams performance level and capabilities:)

Randi:D

charlie
10-05-2002, 05:02 PM
My KX7 is version 1.0, what caps are you talking about? Mine has a miz of dark green, dark blue and 2 BIG black ones next to the agp slot. Is it an old one?
C

King_of_qb
10-05-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by RoydRage
Mr Icee,

I just wanted to thank you for the Info about the KX-7.... Now that I think about it, I rememeber you complaining about it way back on another forum....

I was going absolutely NUTS! With that board with the black caps... Nothing I could do with it. I could hardly get it to run Stock speeds...

How Googlegear sent me a New - Old Stock board like that I can't imagine!

Needless to say I'm crossing them of my places to shop list

But I'm Glad to say that the New KX-7 with the silver caps as you suggested That I bought at the White Plains show last week is running sweet.... I've got 1MHz FSB faster than my KR-7 1980Mhz! Not bad for an Air cooled rig... And I'm running 2 - 2/6/2 Enhanced on, But I still can't get go 1t Command..... Maybe the XMS 3200 C2 I just got is not a great example....

Going to try a XMS 3500..... With This New KD-7 / XP2200 / PSU.....

Should be interesting....

Thanks Man!

Royd

did u say anything to google gear i know when they sent me a athlon 950mhz( which was supose to be a duron) and i chipped it they replaced it anyway

RoydRage
10-05-2002, 05:17 PM
Na,

I figure it's only $80 bucks. By The time I call and haggle with them, then pay to ship it back... It's just not worth it.

What bothers me more than the $80 is the Weeks worth of incredible hassle trying to get this piece of $h*t To work....

They'll never get anymore of my $$$

Royd

MrIcee
10-05-2002, 06:21 PM
charlie:)

That is one of the early version boards for sure:)

charlie
10-05-2002, 09:03 PM
Thanks Mr Icee,
Well in my world, as hardware keeps improving I keep upgrading.
I had a Pentium S 200mhz family computer and a p3 450mhz office machine. I got a xp2200,kx7,pc3200 rig and oc'ed and played games.
Now the 200 goes in the trash(or somewhere?) and the 450 goes to my son to play with. The xp2200, kx7, pc3200 rig will take over as office rig (after I receive a new bios chip) I'll run it at a reliable, rock solid 10.5 x 180 as an office rig.
So I get to think of a NEW play rig...
I saw your review of swiftech's block + 226w unit, pretty cool. I thought about Prometeia, but don't really want to spend the money. What kind of temps will a stock swifty + pelt system run?
Is it that much better than a Koolance system? I can score one of those for less than $200 (the pc601) case and everything. Reviews show it running 30-35C under load on OC'd rigs...not bad
A Swiftech setup with block, pelti, rad, pump, etc. is abour $240
plus the psu. BTW, the psu sounds scary as they don't wire it for us...
As far as processor, it's either AT7 MAX2 and xp2400/2600 or
IT7 MAX2 and p4 2.8/3.06
PC3500 corsair and Radeon 9700
We'll see. BTW, what do you recommend for a system psu? Directron 520w?
C

Drozdov
10-05-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by RoydRage
Na,

I figure it's only $80 bucks. By The time I call and haggle with them, then pay to ship it back... It's just not worth it.

What bothers me more than the $80 is the Weeks worth of incredible hassle trying to get this piece of $h*t To work....

They'll never get anymore of my $$$

Royd

yep, i bought my KX7-333 at the Middletown show last weekend and i told them to open up the box so i can see the mobo (looking at the color of caps) and they had the silver, nabed that and paid $80....

MrIcee
10-06-2002, 06:08 AM
charlie:)

The Koolance is ok...but I'd talk to users first before buying. They sare not a high capacity system and are more geared to normal to moderate overclocking situations. You may want to pm JBell and ask him about his experiences:)

As far as temps go with straight watercooling system and the Swifty pelt setup...check out mdzcpa's review which added the Swifty MCW462-UHT to a a Swifty straight watercooling case here (http://www.liquidninjas.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=20) . There is a definite major difference in temps indeed.:)

As far as PSU...I am partial to the PC Power and Cooling units found here (http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/index.htm) . They are expensive but the last PSU you'll ever buy..and they include important features such as line conditioning not found on ANY other units out there. My other choice would be the TTGI units that OPP and many others are using.:)

charlie
10-06-2002, 01:07 PM
Mr Icee,
Thanks for the relevant link. Well I guess a Swifty Q-power with TEC will run about $550 and Prometeia runs $630. However Swifty will support a water block for the gpu...
Still I think advantage Prometeia!
C

JBELL
10-06-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by charlie

Is it that much better than a Koolance system? I can score one of those for less than $200 (the pc601) case and everything. Reviews show it running 30-35C under load on OC'd rigs...not bad
C

If you want to know all about the koolance case - hit me up.. I rebuilt one and did extensive mods to it before selling it.

JBELL
10-06-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by charlie
Mr Icee,
Thanks for the relevant link. Well I guess a Swifty Q-power with TEC will run about $550 and Prometeia runs $630. However Swifty will support a water block for the gpu...
Still I think advantage Prometeia!
C

that is true if your goal is cpu temps and oc but if you want all around bang for the buck best SYSTEM cooling ... swiftech is the only way to go.

WannaGoFast
11-26-2002, 07:39 AM
Hiyas
My bud is gettin 2 of these boards (KX7) from newegg today.
He's also gettin an 8k3a.
And being the "epox boy" that I am I'm not really up on all this grey cap black cap stuff .
Since we want to volt mod one of the boards I need to know exactly what I'm lookin for.
So we can decide which if any that he gets are worth doing it to , or if we should go with the epox.
So Im wondering exactly which capacitors I'm lookin for and where they should be located.
sorry if im being thick, but i've just read through all of this and must have missed it
Think someone could draw this old dog a picture or sumthin LOL

thanx in advance

peace

WannaGoFast

seversphere
11-26-2002, 08:00 AM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1432

pics in his how to

first pic you see the two caps on either side of the chip to vmod.

On KX7 they will either be black ones or two big silver ones. Pic further down shows em.

WannaGoFast
11-26-2002, 08:08 AM
Thanx for the speedy response!!!
All is clear now!! hope he gets one like that!!

peace

WannaGofast

docah
11-26-2002, 09:52 AM
I got one black and one silver caps board from newegg. Both go to 207 though i had less trouble getting the silver one to do it. (207 was tops before hdd corruption even in pio mode)