PDA

View Full Version : Question about fancontrollers and Delta Screamers

Noldor
05-23-2004, 01:56 AM
Hi!

I'm about to mount 6 120mm Delta Screamers on my Thermochill 120.3 Radiator. They make alot of noice, which usually is no problem when you game and wear a headset. BUT, i want this computer to be at least somewhat silent, and i was wondering if i could run the fans in series and have them all connected to the same "button" or "switch" on the fancontroller. So i can controll all the 6 fans from just one switch. Is that possible? If not, can i at least run 2 fans from the same switch? I don't want to buy 2 different fancontrollers if i can just wire them all to one.

Hope you all understand. Thanks! :stick:

FaTs
05-23-2004, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Noldor
Hi!

I'm about to mount 6 120mm Delta Screamers on my Thermochill 120.3 Radiator. They make alot of noice, which usually is no problem when you game and wear a headset. BUT, i want this computer to be at least somewhat silent, and i was wondering if i could run the fans in series and have them all connected to the same "button" or "switch" on the fancontroller. So i can controll all the 6 fans from just one switch. Is that possible? If not, can i at least run 2 fans from the same switch? I don't want to buy 2 different fancontrollers if i can just wire them all to one.

Hope you all understand. Thanks! :stick:

Why are you using 6 fans for a start ? It's not going to make any diff at all...

You could just wire them upto a switch to run them at either 7v or 12v.

Noldor
05-23-2004, 02:23 AM
Why wouldn't it be better? Isn't a push-pull setup better then just push or pull? 3 fans on both sides.

sai
05-23-2004, 04:04 AM
Just solder all cables to two molex pins, then you can run them with 12v/7v/5v, you know ?

Noldor
05-24-2004, 02:58 AM
Sure i could do that. But the thing i wanted was to be able to run them all off of one switch so i can adjust the speed to any rpm i want. Can i do that?

If not then i'll just have to solder them all to the 5v line.

Thanks

John Cena
05-24-2004, 03:06 AM
Make sure that NOT more than 2 Delta fans are connected to 1 channel(DEPENDING on type of controller) because it can burn out the controller

On my Vantec Controler, I hooked up 4 Tornadoes and 10 seconds Later smelled smoke. I have 4 channels

1st channel takes 1 tornado
2nd takes 2 tornadoes
3 takes 2 tornadoes
4 takes 1 tornadoes

slavik
05-24-2004, 03:15 AM
6 delta screamers?!

why not just use panaflos for quietness? I am sure that the extra air that the screamers push/pull through the rad won't make that much difference ...

and why not use just 3 fans for pull? quiet and effective (shrouds :))

besides, the radiator has a large surface area if it can fit 3 120mm fans, so the water temperature might have a 2-3C diff between 6 deltas and 3 panaflos ...

CrashOveride
05-24-2004, 04:48 AM
Are they the 190CFM 120mm Deltas or the lower CFM ones? One is 24w and the other is 12w. (Delta Fans (http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/delhigper.html))
If you have the 24w one you are probably gonna have to not use a fanbus or make your own. Otherwise (or rather, in the case that you have the 12w fans) I doubt you can use 2 fans at the same time on one fabus channel because most have ~20w max per channel.

That leaves you a few options.

-You could make your own fanbus with rehostats (http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=470015&item=RHE-15&type=store) - this reho is also found at FrozenCPU so it shoudl work ok. If you do this it will only work with the 12w fans and you would need 6 of them. (Unless you wanna try to make it work with the 24w fans but it probably won't - or you could find other rehostats.)

-You could wire/find a fanbus that uses switches and just changes 12v/7v (or 5v) and that should work fine with the fans in parallel. You just, obviously, have less ability to adjust.

-You could put the fans in series and lower the voltage to each like that. You would have to calculate the resistance each fan has and then proably wire only a couple up together. (I would only do this if you know or are willing to learn about electronics and Ohms law etc.)

-You could buy more than 1 fan controller or try to find one with one hell of a wattage rating. (You said you didn't want to do that right? And you probably won't be able to find a badass fan controller - most have a wattage of btwn 10w-20w per channel)

I would personally probably either; try to find better rehos and make one with them or wire a funbus with switches or run fans in series. (In that order.)

Frankly I am surprised that you can run 6 of those deltas lol (though I bet you have the 12w ones?)

Noldor
05-24-2004, 06:07 AM
Yeah they're the 12w ones :)

Seems like it's probably enough just to use three of them and have them all solderd into a 7v molex.

CrashOveride
05-24-2004, 09:37 AM
You might also try 5v and decide which is better. I have the higher speed 80mm one and I the 5v setting really works best; as quite as the average fan but pushes way more air.

Noldor
05-24-2004, 11:04 AM
Yeah, three delta screamers at 5v should still push some impressive CFM's at very low noice. That's what i'm going to do. I'll have three of those bastards on my thermochill and run them at 5v. That should give me some decent temperatures right? I'll save the other three for my next WC-project, where i intend to run them at full blast! :smileysex

While you are reading, would you mind helping me with my setup?

Thermochill 120.3
3 delta screamers at 5v
RBX
Z-Chipset
Maze4
Eheim 1260 (Crazy 2200 litres/h)
And a eheim res.

Setup:

Pump-->Rad-->CPU-->GPU-->NB-->RES-->Pump

Also, which is better.

1. Have the rad on top of the case sucking air from the case through the rad and out of the case?

2. Mount the rad on top of the case, suck air from outside of thecase, through the rad and out of the rear exhaust fans?

Thanks

CrashOveride
05-24-2004, 06:31 PM
I would probably suck air in from outside the case since most of the big heat producers are water cooled (so you don't need that air in the case to be as cool).

Craig
05-25-2004, 03:50 PM
That Ehiem 1260 isn't a real good choice.

A D4 from Danger Den or a Swiftech MCP600 would be better choices.

Noldor
05-26-2004, 05:33 AM
Can you motivate your answer? Why isnt the eheim better? it has higher flowrate? No?

reject
05-27-2004, 12:29 AM
eheims are nice and reliable, but they dont have as good flow i think

Noldor
05-27-2004, 01:54 AM
The eheim 1260 has a flow of 2200 litres/hour.