PDA

View Full Version : DFI infinity... just can't give me the vcore I need.

Lithan
05-19-2004, 08:44 PM
Well, I give up. I'm switching back to nf7-s. This DFI board is great for easy FSB (Though since I use 512 sticks it really isn't that much better than my old nf7-s (which sadly is dead now).) But I want a system that is 100% stable. One which I can run 24/7 and Never have a hiccup. This board simply can't do it. Why? Vcore. On 3-8hr prime95 runs, this board is as stable at vcore as nf7-s... but leave it on 24 hrs and come back... even at 1.50v set, it dipped as low as 1.38v (high was 1.58v). This is horrible. .2v variance at 1.50v is absurd. Half that amount is too much. I'm guessing the tiny mosfets and few/small caps are to blame. All in all, this board winds up forcing me to take about 200 mhz less than my nf7-s... which gave me about 100mhz less than my old 8rda...

Why do I feel like with regards to motherboards I've done too much settling on cpu overclock in search of FSB. Hell, it probably worked against me in the end. Hopefully we will get a magic "perfect" board for the A64's by the time I switch to them, and I can put this whole messy business behind me. I'm seriously considering running 200fsb... just to save me the hassel of fighting for what will probably turn out to be less than 15 more mhz on it. Maybe I'll build a phase change rig and get my overclocking fix buying cpu after cpu... reselling for a slight loss, and trying to get the best one of the batch. Shame the good XPs are 80$ to 110$ now. Who remembers when 40$ 1700+ were the chips to buy? Ahh the good old days... I feel like I need prune juice and a rocker.

STEvil
05-19-2004, 09:48 PM
I think i've got bad luck with boards.. not one i've owned except my Abit BE6-II had stable cpu volts... :/

IamAnoobieCheez
05-20-2004, 03:20 PM
oh, i love Abit BE6-2 boards.. :D

Lithan, it's simple, if you want DFI to run as high as the Abit NF7 boards in total clock, you will have to provide a lot more powerful cooling to match up an Abit NF7, or the like. Heck even Epox 8K3A mops the floor with it.

Otherwise you are in deep shi.t. Sorry.