PDA

View Full Version : -80°C Liquid Chiller - Need someone to construct the Chiller Block

placebo
05-18-2004, 09:41 AM
Hello everyone....

I am currently working on a chiller which will work with a phase change cascade system. The final temperature should be somewhere around -80°C.
Obviously some problems come up at this low temperature. So here is a list with the items that I have taken care of so far:

1.) Heat Transfer Fluids from different manufactures. All are potentially good to about -130°C
2.) Modified pump that will allow temperatures as low as -100°C - you can also look it up at: www.gripumps.com / Model is the 18650/1 rated at 600 gallons per hour
3.) Hoses will be stainless steel
4.) Cascade system is in the works and will be available soon :D

So for right now I am planing on using some dry-ice to cool the liquid. It will use a simple copper pipe through a container with dry-ice for cooling. (Just on a note ... I am planing on cooling it for 2 weeks straight ... small heatload, approx. 50W ... including sublimation I will require approx. 700 pounds of the stuff :D ... )

The only thing that I am still missing would be a working Chiller Block. I would this kinda like to be based on the same principles as the Prometeia block.

1.) Heatexchanger Block for the fluid
2.) Connectors for stainless steel hoses
3.) Insulation
4.) "Case" with proper mounting

So right now I am looking for someone who would be able to construct this type of Heatexchanger or Chiller Block.
I would very much like to do this myself, but I lack equipment, skills and experience when it comes to that stuff...

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Charles Wirth
05-18-2004, 09:46 AM
You should be able to use a regular waterblock and there are quite a few heat exchangers available. I would suggest a shell in tube HX with at least half inch ID for the water channel.

placebo
05-18-2004, 10:42 AM
FUGGER: Thanks for your fast reply.....

The problem that comes up when trying to use a "stock" waterblock are the materials and the connectors.

I was looking at the new Swiftech MCW6002 Waterblock, which looks like it might be fairly easy to modify.
However ... the problem are the connectors. I am almost certain that these will not cope with the extreme low temperature.

Even PTFE (Teflon) is only good until about -73°C ....

That was sort of the reason why I am looking for someone who would be able to custom make one for me.
However, if you know of a waterblock that would work, please let me know.

afireinside
05-18-2004, 10:47 AM
Get an all copper block and braze everything shut.

pippin88
05-18-2004, 12:46 PM
The 6002 is brazed together and the barbs are soldered in AFAIK. Should be fine.

placebo
05-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Thanks for your replies ...

I just looked at the MCW-6002 Swiftech again, and you are right ... its soldered together ...
So I guess that this would work fine ...

I am almost ready to order a couple of them ...

But the one concern I have is that because of its fairly large size and baseplate condensation might become a big issue. Which of course will already be a PITA.

What do you think ... is that block too large or would it work?

What type of insulation materials would you suggest? I suppose that the top has to be a somewhat hard material so that it can support the top plate for mounting?

afireinside
05-18-2004, 01:34 PM
Build a small and simple block like lardarse did?

snowwie
05-18-2004, 05:22 PM
I would think that you would want a very thick base

I think I remember billa at procooling stating the bp is 3/16" thick

the mcw-5002 seems to be better suited for that, 6002 is aimed more at above ambient cooling, like other impingement blocks (whitewater, RBX, cascade)

try and find a block with a broader cooling area, and a thick bp

the 5002 seems to be easier to insulate as well, a more regular shape to it.

but then it has a more complicated build, plastic barbs to worry about, alu top, o-ring, don't know how good those are for such low temps.

edit:
how thick is the maze4 bp?

OCme
05-19-2004, 02:52 PM
Post lots of pics... PLEASE!

We would all love to see the work in progress from beginning-to-end.

FaTs
05-20-2004, 03:23 PM
I think you'll have problems with more complex block, rubber seals would be a big NO NO.

the 6002 is prefect for your application, it's a simple desgin (internally and externally) and theres plenty of space for insulation on the hoses.

snowwie
05-21-2004, 07:17 PM
yes, but only concern is the thin base plate.

6002 is 3/16" thick

D3Railur
05-27-2004, 02:44 AM
Would a heat plate like the tec guys use be acceptable to use if you think the bp is too thin?

extremecorvette
05-28-2004, 07:05 AM
Post pictures once you get it done

iceman2g
06-03-2004, 09:40 AM
placebo any update?

OCme
06-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Hey placebo whasssupppp?... how's it commin with da chilla? :stick:

Redwolf
06-10-2004, 07:31 PM
I noticed you said modified vertion of the 18650... just hope your not thinking of using a pump with synthetic seals.

kayl
06-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by OCme
Post lots of pics... PLEASE!

We would all love to see the work in progress from beginning-to-end.

so hows it all going, have you any pics on what you have so far
what gasses are you going to use in the cascade?