PDA

View Full Version : Attention ALL Prometeia Users

Entuscan
10-04-2002, 12:17 PM
Ok I have a Prom unit from a friend that I have for testing/comparing.

When I had my (now dead) KR7A installed I was a bit freaked about the big differance between readout on prom and bios readout. Differance was much bigger then with a VapoChill.

Today I removed my dead KR7A from that awfull Enlight case and decided to fire up the prom without mobo or cpu attached.

-44°c on the readout and some nice Ice buildup. So I grabbed a digital temp meter and what did I see.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
-24°C effective average (depending on ice formation the coolest I got was -28°c with -47 readout) on the copper bottom ov prom evaporator.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :

This is a lot of differance 20°C!!!. I mean where the heck does that -44 come from?? somewhere down at the compressor or something :(

Now with the same temperature meter I got -8°c on my pelt setup to cool my radeon. a 172watt peltier running @12v from a regular 300watt PSU (not even at max performance) with watter at 20°c so nothing fancy.

So this disturbs me verry much. :doh:

Now if any other Prom users would like to measure their temps to see what they get. Maybe just this prom that's faulty but i doubt it

mike.elmes
10-04-2002, 12:42 PM
Very interesting.....I own 2 vapochill's and have a prommy on the way.
The Vapo's temps are measured on the side about 1/4 in. from the end of the evapourator. Where does the probe mount on the prommy??

I had read on the Vapochill site somewhere that the competition measured the temps at a different place and that they were not the same.for comparison...so what gives??

Entuscan
10-04-2002, 12:50 PM
Mike I sold my vapo so I can't measure that :(
Maybe you could measure the evap contact surface and post the results between chillcontrol and actual temps.

I realy don't have a clue where temps on a prom are measured but I think no where near the evaporator :stick:

PiLsY
10-04-2002, 01:00 PM
Why dont you try asking chip-con? :). Theyre always really helpful when people have questions about their units.

Personally ive got no idea what the temp is on the evap surface, but I know its below -20 as ive had cpu temps below -25c.

PiLsY.

PiLsY
10-04-2002, 01:02 PM
In fact.....

mike.elmes
10-04-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Entuscan
Mike I sold my vapo so I can't measure that :(
Maybe you could measure the evap contact surface and post the results between chillcontrol and actual temps.

I realy don't have a clue where temps on a prom are measured but I think no where near the evaporator :stick:

What did you get for your used Vapo...I have 2...two too many.

I have everything required to do a p4 in a brand new vapo. Too bad they just don't remove enough heat to be usefull on newer processors. I wish I could mod it to cool the radeon 9700 gpu.
Now there would be a good project. I know there are a few xtreme members with Vapo's collecting dust.

Pedro Rocha
10-06-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Entuscan
Now if any other Prom users would like to measure their temps to see what they get. Maybe just this prom that's faulty but i doubt it

The minimal temperature is a sensor limitation of the IT7 / IT7 Max2, my idle temperature are less than -24 ºc (-43ºc in the cooling unit) even at my maximum stable speed
Full load at -11 º C (-36ºc in the cooling unit) :)

I put a LOT of seal-string in the evaporator and carefull test for a perfect contact with the CPU (also use Artic Silver3)

Yodums
10-06-2002, 07:13 PM
The readout on the Prometeia probably reads from the evaporator which is cooler than the block that you're measuring.

Entuscan
10-06-2002, 09:56 PM
I've mailed Chip-con about this and it appears that the Evaporator has to be in a certain position for it to work?

When I first measured i just had the evaporator in an upright position.

When holding the evaporator head in a semi-richt position (isn't easy when trying to measure temps when you are alone) I got a -33°C already so something seems to be true.

Chipcon also stated that their evap temps are within 0,5°C correct so giving a 1°C variation as the chillcontrol doesn't display .5 nrs after -10°C (not enough digits availble)

However I did have a Misalignement problem with the evaporator that several promies have. causing the brass stands on the metal clip not to fully penetrate the evap-head.

Easy to fix. and I'm curious if it will improve results (lets hope so :p)

OPPAINTER
10-06-2002, 10:44 PM
Joe at Overclockers.com has a good explanation where the temps are measured, I don't have the link but it should be easy to find on the front page.

OPP

Pedro Rocha
10-07-2002, 02:08 AM
E-mail from Martin Goldmann, Support Department, Chip-Con ApS:

Subject: Fw: P4 @3600 -24ºc - how inaccurate can be??

Dear Pedro,

Sorry for the late reply. Not our usual response time, I'm afraid.

If I understand you correctly, you are getting CPU temperature readings between -24ºC and -8ºC on your IT7-MAX2 with a P4 2800, and these readings are load and idle temperatures, right? If so, these actually corresponds very well with the real-life temperatures we have measured on the back of the CPU, with our lab-thermometers. When idle, the CPU can use as little as 30W, so -24ºC is quite normal.

Too good to be true? Probably not.

Impressive? Yep! ;)

Best regards,
Martin Goldmann
Support Department
Chip-Con ApS

BTW: I'm realy impressed with this guys, a little delay of less than 24 hours to reply to my mail and he say" Sorry for the late reply"
Chip-Con ApS Support Department is the bestthat I ever see in this business, they are happy to reply to all your question - e-mail is support@chip-con.com

Yodums
10-07-2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by OPPAINTER
Joe at Overclockers.com has a good explanation where the temps are measured, I don't have the link but it should be easy to find on the front page.

OPP

Yes, that's where I was going ;) I'm from Overclockers.com :D Also there was a post in our SETI Section which is both Xtreme and Overclockers.com SETI Team which had sort of like a Vapochill rep which said units like this don't read the block they read the evaporator.