PDA

View Full Version : IE freezes after searching Google, Yahoo, etc.

FlyingHamster
05-16-2004, 07:49 PM
I searched using lycos and found another guy that has a very similar problem: http://www.techimo.com/forum/t28082.html

basically, when I go to google, type something in, then hit search, the window freezes and I have to ctrl+alt+del to close it. I went to yahoo and it did the exact same thing. This problem is REALLY annoying because I cant search for anything.

I ran adaware and didnt find anything, ran msconfig and looked in taskmanager and didnt notice anything suspicious either.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

John Cena
05-17-2004, 12:56 AM
Hvae you downloaded the patches for IE and upgraded it to 6.0? Theres a memory leak in 5.5 I think.

FlyingHamster
05-17-2004, 04:11 AM
yes I have.

John Cena
05-17-2004, 06:03 AM
If Flash amd Java plugins are installed and Yahoo or MSN displays a advertistment using java or flash, your browser will hang for around 10 seconds(depending on computer speed) while it loads the plugin.

FlyingHamster
05-17-2004, 11:35 AM
it doesnt hang.. it freezes.

John Cena
05-17-2004, 01:03 PM
Okay, try using Mozilla to surf the same website. If it doesn't freeze, Download the latest version of I.E., then goto control panel and uninstall the I.E. you have installed, restart, and reinstall the I.E. you have downloaded. That should fix it maybe.

benonmsn
06-04-2004, 11:00 AM
ive had several problems with IE over the years. (we are talking maybe 100 computers thro my hands). usually i add remove programs, windows componenets, remove internet explorer. remove any updates to internet explorer (look at ur hotfix numbers in add remove programs and cross refrence with ms dot com. reboot, windows update, reinstall internet explorer. u should be able to reinstall it w/o reinstalling it in add remove programs. when u reinstall it if u get an option of what comonents toi install select them oall, the more files it over writes the better tchance u have of fixing the issue, do all updates. reinstall java (sun.com) and macromedia / flashplayer (macromedia.com)

FlyingHamster
06-04-2004, 01:32 PM
ok, thnx for the help ben. tried reinstalling IE and it seems to have been fixed. all is working well now. :)

benonmsn
06-07-2004, 11:48 AM
yw

Pomme
06-16-2004, 11:27 AM
you could also consider going to Opera or another alternative ... ;) I prefer Opera, once u're used to it, it speeds up things so much :)