PDA

View Full Version : 2nd hard drive "Not Accessible" after format

Rebel7254
05-15-2004, 11:34 PM
wtf. I just formatted for the first time since I got my new Western Digital 80 GB 7200 RPM at the beginning of the year. I decided to keep my old Maxtor as a second hard drive. After I installed the new hard drive I could access the old Maxtor just fine. So I formatted tonight because Windows was doing some weird crap on me. I think "ok, I've got enough room on the Maxtor to back up everything I want to save". So I save everything I wanted on it. I format my Western Digital, installed Windows. Now I can't get into my 2nd hard drive, the Maxtor. Any time I try to get into it, it brings up a grey box with a red X saying:

D:\ Is Not Acessible
Access is Denied

Why is it doing this? In the device manager it recognizes it as a hard drive and lists the make and model number, and even tells the drive's copacity. But in the My Computer window, when I right click on the 2nd hard drive and go to properties, it doesn't say anything about how much space is on it. In the details on the left it just says "Local Disk" under the drive name instead of "File System: NTFS", etc. like it used to.

What happened? Can somebody help me? Please

Pentium4 3.0 GHz 800 MHz FSB HT
Asus P4P800
512 MB DDR400 Kingston
Windows XP Pro

John Cena
05-16-2004, 03:03 PM
It's because you don't have the ascess rights you set on Windows XP BEFORE you formatted.

To ascess the drive you must have administrator rights. Set you account to administrator and see if you can ascess the drive.

Rebel7254
05-16-2004, 04:51 PM
No it wasn't that.......but nevermind, I recovered the data from it, formatted it, and now it works fine. thx for the reply.