PDA

View Full Version : I really screwed the pooch this time!

charlie
10-04-2002, 12:54 AM
OK, so its a cold night out and i open the window to do some serious oc'ing.
I crank up my fsb on my kx7333r as i've done a million times and it crashes. Each time I restart it I immediately get this screen
Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
BIOS ROM checksum error
detecting floppy drive a media...
insert system disk and press enter

I've tried clearing the cmos, and pulling the battery...nothing resets it, did i just fry the bios on my mobo? This is my working rig and I'm dead meat!!!!!HELLLLPPP!!!!!!!
C

RAMMER
10-04-2002, 01:22 AM
Had it happen to me before.Create a bootable floppy. On the floppy include AWDFLASH, and the bios bin file for the KX7. Boot with DOS bootable floppy and try to reflash the bios on the board.
It fixed my old trusty KR7A.

charlie
10-04-2002, 06:49 AM
OK, I don't really understand what to do.
SO
1) Take formatted floppy
2) download new kx7 bios onto floppy
then what?
what is awdflash?
Please help guys!!!!!!!
C

N8
10-04-2002, 06:52 AM
AWFLASH should be available @ the Abit site. Its an executable.

Basically, when ya get to the A: prompt you'll type:
awdflash_biosimagefilename
where _ is a space and biosimagefilename is just that :)

charlie
10-04-2002, 07:27 AM
ok
so i've got awdflash and kx7b6 on a floppy and i insert it and it says non setup disk error. what next
thanks

Keeper
10-04-2002, 07:40 AM
In ABIT's flash program is a runme command, on a: prompt type dir and see if the runme is there. if it is, you can use the runme command which will run the flash, and place the correct command line in it for a painless BIOS change. Just make sure on your floppy, you only have the new BIOS and the ABIT flash program.

docah
10-04-2002, 07:41 AM
It needs to be a bootable floppy. i believe there is an option in the format command that will allow that. (format a: /s)

charlie
10-04-2002, 08:11 AM
ok
I tried bootdisk.com and loaded the boot disk and it didn't work. I still get non setup disk error. How do you format a bootable disk?
This rig is winme, how do i format a floppy as stated above?? format a: /s
?????
thanks

N8
10-04-2002, 08:15 AM
Do ya have a Win98 bootdisk u can boot to and then flash w/ another floppy?

charlie
10-04-2002, 08:25 AM
n8
nope
i tried getting a bootdisk from bootdisk.com
and it just says disk boot failure, insert system disk...
Are you saying I should go to bootdisk.com and get a win98 bootdisk and insert it into my crashed xp system and it'll open dos and then i can flash bios w/awflash?
C

Ragnarok
10-04-2002, 08:26 AM
umm u sure the CMOS is cleared properly?

coz when u have "cache system bios to ram", and u push ur ram beyond stable levels, then u get this msg, as the cached bios image in ram becomes corrupted..

charlie
10-04-2002, 08:38 AM
Yes
usually when i push her too hard she refuses to boot so I clear the cmos and i'm back in business. Something's different this time.
I don't know what's up. These boot disks don't seem to give me an a:/
If I got an a:/ i could reflash bios...

charlie
10-04-2002, 08:45 AM
Prayer to the pc gods:
I will never ever ever play with my working rig again!!! If I can just get it up and running I will leave it alone and promise only to flog my gaming rig, which i can do without...
Charlie

Ragnarok
10-04-2002, 10:38 AM
jesus :) only a corrupted bios @ the most :)..
just find a friend with a bios saviour and flash the baby again :)

charlie
10-04-2002, 11:18 AM
Yes, I know it sounds simple...I can't flash anything cuz I cant boot!!!!! I've tried all the boot discs, drdos, bootdisk.com, etc. etc.
I CAN"T get an a:
The only thing that changes anything is if I load a xp setup floppy, but I don't want to re-install windows. I just wanna' repair my bios.
Again, upon booting it says immediately
Award BOOTBLOCK Bios v1.0
BIOS ROM checksum error
Detecting floppy drive a: media
Insert system disk and press enter

Does anyone KNOW precisely what to do??????
C

charlie
10-04-2002, 11:20 AM
BTW, Abit...if you're out there, This probably wouldn't of happened with Gigabytes dual bios MObo's
C

JCviggen
10-04-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by charlie
BTW, Abit...if you're out there, This probably wouldn't of happened with Gigabytes dual bios MObo's
C

maybe, but it still might. I've heard of those dual BIOS gigabyte's and when a flash goes wrong they were still fu**ed.

I recommend asking ABIT for a BIOS chip. then simply replace the chip...? If it wont boot from a floppy which you are sure is bootable (try it in another PC?) then i'm out of ideas...

sysfailur
10-04-2002, 03:43 PM
This seems to happen to alot of kx7-333r users. Happened to me as well--I had to RMA the thing :\

OPPAINTER
10-04-2002, 06:10 PM
Have them send you a new chip, it's toast:D

OPP

charlie
10-04-2002, 08:06 PM
All,
After this day...I'll drink to that!
Now here's the question...Do I email Abit and ask them to send me a new bios chip OR Do i RMA the whole board??? While it's there can I ask them to do anything cool to it? Like make it compatible for xp2400-2600? Or change voltages...
So... I'm on an Intel Pentium 200-S and it chugs so DARN slow through the internet or my work apps...How did we ever live with such puny machines? Thanks to everybody from a happy new member. BTW how long does it take Abit to return an RMA if I go that route?
Charlie:toast:

Ragnarok
10-04-2002, 08:16 PM
gg bios savior :D

u sure u cant find anyone with a bios saviour? or reckon ya have the guts to try a hot flash :D?

JBELL
10-04-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by OPPAINTER
Have them send you a new chip, it's toast:D

OPP

yup it is dead like my abit board....

charlie
10-04-2002, 08:49 PM
Depending on how long it takes for Abit to get back to me, I may have found another place
check it out!!!
www.badflash.com
They sell new bios chips flashed to your specs OR they reprogram your chip (if it's not fried) COOL!