PDA

View Full Version : New Chiller in progress

Overklokk
05-14-2004, 08:55 PM
Hello,

I am working on a new smal Chiller end the compressor is a Danfoss BD35F from a old vapo.

I think it wil take away about 180w heat on -5c (with R404A) so i am afraid that my water temp not is going to be low........ What do you people think?

http://home.online.no/~kbudalen/BD35%20Chiller/chiller2-3.jpg

I wil work more on it this weekend and post som more picture later today.

Wil make å box to and it wil be about 50x25x25cm

Reflex1
05-14-2004, 10:32 PM
cool ...can't wait to see how it progresses :D ...will be very compact ;)

Overklokk
05-15-2004, 12:31 AM
Did some more work on it today

now its ready to insulate it:

http://home.online.no/~kbudalen/BD35%20Chiller/klar-til-isolering.jpg

and her its ready too vacum:

http://home.online.no/~kbudalen/BD35%20Chiller/ferdig-isolert.jpg

http://home.online.no/~kbudalen/BD35%20Chiller/chiller2-015.jpg

http://home.online.no/~kbudalen/BD35%20Chiller/chiller2-018.jpg

I wil fill it and test it tomorow :-)

kommando
05-15-2004, 02:42 AM
133337 heatexchanger?

Reflex1
05-15-2004, 03:12 AM
That res. is cool.

U might wanna upgrade the pump later on ...but since this isn't a hardcore chiller ...it might be oki. watch out for cracks on the pump ;)

Pimpsho
05-15-2004, 06:49 AM
i love chillers!! but wouldnt it be better i mean since you obviously have the knowledge to build it from scratch why didnt you buy a baker block or make one....and just make it into a direct phase change...? wouldnt it produce better temps?

Overklokk
05-15-2004, 07:41 AM
Did some more work on it now. I wil fill it and test it tomorrow. If it work ok i wil make the case finiched :-)

http://home.online.no/~kbudalen/BD35%20Chiller/klar%20til%20test/chiller2-031.jpg

http://home.online.no/~kbudalen/BD35%20Chiller/klar%20til%20test/chiller2-029.jpg

http://home.online.no/~kbudalen/BD35%20Chiller/klar%20til%20test/chiller2-025.jpg

http://home.online.no/~kbudalen/BD35%20Chiller/klar%20til%20test/chiller2-021.jpg

http://home.online.no/~kbudalen/BD35%20Chiller/klar%20til%20test/chiller2-024.jpg

embro
05-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Direct die with "multiple" evaporator is tricky. With a setup like this you simply make a block with 1xIN and 3xOUT (cpu, cpu, chipset) and still manage to have all of them very cool. Awesome project btw!!

kayl
05-16-2004, 06:56 PM
i love it, i see you think more of the chillier than the car, watch the paint job :toast:

Gary Lloyd
05-16-2004, 11:54 PM
Very nice work. I especially like the evap/res design. :toast:

Just one small thing: I would be a little nervous about mounting all of the coolant hose connections, pump, etc. right next to the PSU, especially if you are going to use flammable coolants.

Overklokk
05-17-2004, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by Gary Lloyd
Very nice work. I especially like the evap/res design. :toast:

Just one small thing: I would be a little nervous about mounting all of the coolant hose connections, pump, etc. right next to the PSU, especially if you are going to use flammable coolants.

Hello!

I hawe think about it and mayby i wil mount the PSU another plase.

I tested the chiller now and it dident work so good that i was hoping.

It get down to 0c with load of 2x 80w tec.

I use glycol and water but i think that the water frees on the evap coil....

I wil worke more on it and test some other coolants.

Gary Lloyd
05-17-2004, 04:12 AM
As soon as water starts freezing on the coils, the temp cannot drop any further. All of the system's capacity is used for making ice instead of cooling liquid.

Overklokk
05-17-2004, 04:15 AM
As soon as water starts freezing on the coils, the temp cannot drop any further. All of the system's capacity is used for making ice instead of cooling liquid.

I use glycol and water and it is mixed 50/50 so it wil take -36c....

What can i use that wil not freese?

Overklokk
05-31-2004, 09:50 AM
Hello.

I need some help too get this chiller too work....

I dont know whats wrong but it dident cool wel...

with 0w load i only get about -6c on the water....... is the kompressor too small for this or is ist other thing that can doo it?

The BD35F with r404a is going too remowe 180W load on -5c in a vapo, so about - 20c on the water with 0w load must be posible??

I wonder about the evap coil.... mayby its too bigg for tihis kompressor? the coil is 1/4" pipe and it fill the hole res.(dont remember the lengt of the pipe..)

Unknown_road
06-01-2004, 03:29 AM
you can use methanol or ethanol as coolant, but its flammable. I think the evap is the problem. I think the whole coil is coverd with frozen coolant and the rest of the coolant is flowing in the middle of the coil. The coolant has to flow more "violently" passed the coil (so it won't freeze) and may not have the opportunity to flow through the middle where it doesn't get in contact with the evap.

gkiing
06-01-2004, 05:27 AM
Use windshield washer fluid (the non soapy stuff). It's good to -45C and its cheap too (and doesnt burn)

Overklokk
06-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Unknown_road
you can use methanol or ethanol as coolant, but its flammable. I think the evap is the problem. I think the whole coil is coverd with frozen coolant and the rest of the coolant is flowing in the middle of the coil. The coolant has to flow more "violently" passed the coil (so it won't freeze) and may not have the opportunity to flow through the middle where it doesn't get in contact with the evap.

I think that i must make a new evap and i think of using a condenser like the one that is on the vapo(i have some of them here) and build a res around it.

If i made it so the water is flowing from the one side of it and against all the thin fins on the condenser..... do you think this can work??

I am afraid that the Compressor is to little but i want too try a new evap/res design.

What doo you expert,s think?

Reflex1
06-05-2004, 07:48 AM
so your going to break this and start over?

i just got fridge parts to build a chiller today too ...so i'd be interested in your new evap/res. design.

Gary Lloyd
06-05-2004, 08:19 AM
Glycol based anti-freeze doesn't pump very well at low temps. That's why everyone uses alcohol based anti-freeze.

Gary Lloyd
06-05-2004, 08:24 AM
Anything that goes wrong can cause it to not cool very well. So the problem could be anything... or everything.

What size cap tube are you using?

What refrigerant are you using?

What were your pressures?

Did the suction line frost?

Was the bottom of the compressor warm?

It will take a lot more information to figure out what is wrong.

Unknown_road
06-05-2004, 11:30 AM
Gary is right, I was only making an assumption of what could be the problem. You have to check more possibilities to know for sure.

Gary Lloyd
06-05-2004, 11:45 AM
In the industry, we call that a WAG (wild assed guess). Or if you really know your stuff, it's called a SWAG (scientific wild assed guess)... LOL

Overklokk
06-06-2004, 12:22 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gary Lloyd
[B]Anything that goes wrong can cause it to not cool very well. So the problem could be anything... or everything.

What size cap tube are you using?

** i Use 0,8mm cap tube. I hawe tried all from 1meter too 3,5 meter.

What refrigerant are you using?

** R404a

What were your pressures?

**Lowside is: about 1,8 bar
**Higside is: about 14 bar
Abient temp= 20c
Temp out of the kondenser= 28c
Water temp -7,5c with 0w load
Water temp +5c with about 150w load (2 x 80w tec)

This is the best it can doo.... with higer pressure(more of the r404a) its dooing worse.

Did the suction line frost?

**Yes it's frosts when the water goes below 0c .When the water is at -7c the suction line is -4c about 3" from the compressor

Was the bottom of the compressor warm?

** Yes

What doo you think is the best length of 0,8mm captube on tihis litle compressor?

I use a alcohol mixture now and it did not feeze so i think its good.

kayl
06-06-2004, 06:35 AM
have you changed the drier when you pullied it apart?
IF not i think each time that you pull the chillier apart and do copper change replace the drier, it up to you with a cape tube change, when you add or remove cap tube can anyone tell me how many changes and recharges would you recomend i change the drier?

Gary Lloyd
06-06-2004, 11:48 AM
What I am seeing here is a very large difference between the temperature of the refrigerant and the temperature of the coolant. This would indicate poor heat transfer in the evap/res. I suspect the coolant is freezing. Try pure alcohol and see what that does.

What size is your cap tube?

Overklokk
06-06-2004, 11:59 AM
What I am seeing here is a very large difference between the temperature of the refrigerant and the temperature of the coolant. This would indicate poor heat transfer in the evaporator. I suspect the coolant is freezing. Try pure alcohol and see what that does.

I wil try pure alcohol tomorrow.....

Now its abel to get down too -9c with 0w load but with load on a A64 and a 9800pro the temp i rising too about +5c after 1 hour bech....

The cap tube is 0,8mm or 0,31"

Unknown_road
06-06-2004, 12:01 PM
What I am seeing here is a very large difference between the temperature of the refrigerant and the temperature of the coolant. This would indicate poor heat transfer in the evaporator. I suspect the coolant is freezing. Try pure alcohol and see what that does.

well I was close or even right so I think we should call is a SWAG :p: And I didn't need all that info! LOL
:lol:

@overklokk: what length?

Overklokk
06-06-2004, 12:05 PM
well I was close or even right so I think we should call is a SWAG :p: And I didn't need all that info! LOL
:lol:

@overklokk: what length?

I hawe tryed alot from 1 too 4,5 meter :-) I dont know howe long it is now..... mayby about 3 meter i think

Overklokk
06-06-2004, 12:07 PM
Doo some of you have a ide of a better HX/res i can make?

I want this Chiller too be mutch more powerful.... but mayby this is the best it can doo??

The pull down from 18c too -9c is about 1 hour....... this is bad isent it??

Gary Lloyd
06-06-2004, 12:34 PM
3 meters should be about right.

Unknown_road
06-07-2004, 01:20 AM
Before you start making a new evap, have you already tryed the ethanol as coolant?

Overklokk
07-19-2004, 08:44 AM
Before you start making a new evap, have you already tryed the ethanol as coolant?

Hello!

Finaly i hawe some time too test the Chiller on som real hardware.

Hardware:
A64 3200+ @2500Mhz 1,69v
9800 Pro @ 450/370

temp water Idle: -6,8c
temp water load after 1 round 3d mark 01: -3,0c

I think this is good result from a so small compressor??

JSU
07-19-2004, 10:18 PM
if it is froma a small compressor the best way to fix that is to make a longer evap..... it will add to heat capacity