PDA

View Full Version : Custom Radiator for my WC system done!

[AK]Zip
05-14-2004, 12:44 PM
First off let me say this radiator is 100% custom no ideas or anything was taken from anyone else. So if you would please do the same and not take my design that would be great. :D Now onto the radiator. This radiator is 15in long, almost 6in wide and 1 1/2in thick. It’s a double layer 1 way radiator. It has a built in fill and bleed system and I will be finishing everything else today and putting it all together. It has already been test for leaks with water for 1 week. A 30 minute 15lbs of vacuum and another 30 minute test with 15 lbs of pressure. No leaks at all! :) Cooling this will be 2 120mm fans. I am hoping to have load temps of close to 30*C I have tested it and it keeps the water a little under room temp because of the design. I will defiantly be posting results as soon as it’s all together up and running, but for now a few teaser pics of the radiator itself.

http://home.comcast.net/~zip1385/rad1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~zip1385/rad2.jpg

-Alex-

afireinside
05-14-2004, 01:48 PM
Looks sick :D Any details youd like to share on how it was made? :p:

kommando
05-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Looks great, how did you make that sexy thing!

Weapon
05-14-2004, 07:01 PM
the rad looks damn nice. :toast:

Still, I'm not sure about those black and white sandals with the blue nylon pants...they do match your keyboard though.:D

Reflex1
05-14-2004, 09:29 PM
what pump will it be teamed up with?

Prokopek
05-14-2004, 10:02 PM
I think
THIS IS (http://sweb.cz/erty/radiator2/radiator2.htm)

Custom made radiator..

kommando
05-14-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Prokopek
I think
THIS IS (http://sweb.cz/erty/radiator2/radiator2.htm)

Custom made radiator..

Hmmm... looks like a good performer but it does look like :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:!

charlie
05-15-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by [AK]Zip
I am hoping to have load temps of close to 30*C I have tested it and it keeps the water a little under room temp because of the design.
-Alex-

Care to explain how the "design" can produce LOWER than ambient temps??

C

kommando
05-15-2004, 02:34 AM
It looks similaer to my big arse rad, fin design and shape.

Reflex1
05-15-2004, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by charlie

C its got supercooling inside ;) ...pfffff, way to high tech to understand :stick:

afireinside
05-15-2004, 04:30 AM
I'm assuming he has something in there because he said he pulled a vacumme. Maybe he did something with R134A like those heat pipe things work?

Bra!nFreeZe^
05-15-2004, 05:40 AM

Good point! :)

I'm assuming he has something in there because he said he pulled a vacumme. Maybe he did something with R134A like those heat pipe things work?

That would be impossible, and he did apply pressure and vacuum to test for leaks, because water takes along time to reveal leaks, if the leak is small or if there is no pressure...

blinky
05-15-2004, 09:22 AM
he could have lower than ambient temps, if he kept it wet and blew and blew air over it, because the water evaporating off it would cool it down to the dew point temperature, similar to bong cooling, and similar to the cooling effect of ur body sweating

Çhrist0ph
05-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by kommando
Hmmm... looks like a good performer but it does look like :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:!

jeezus, so much work just for a radiator that probably didnt do very well.....

[AK]Zip
05-15-2004, 12:30 PM
Once again guys. The semicircles aren't empty. I am not going to say what and how its done until I test it on my system. If it works I will tell everyone what it is, but not how its done.;) Expect results today!:p:

Reflex1
05-15-2004, 11:11 PM
boooooooo!! he doesnt want to share ...why post then. No one is gonna take ur idea, i mean who is gonna waste all their time making that.

kommando
05-15-2004, 11:25 PM
Looks like these.

http://www.employees.org/~slf/ba/bba-raw3.jpg

http://www.employees.org/~slf/ba/bba-dry2.jpg

http://members.iinet.net.au/~chylld/jw_id_au/temp/ba2.jpg

[AK]Zip
05-16-2004, 12:14 AM
The time has come I know I am a little late, but its all done and togeather!!! :D Idle temps went down to 29*C with room temp of 24*C (its soo hot in here I hate it) and full load temps running Prime and Sandra burn in is only 33*C. Fans are on low and I can't hear em at all. Very happy about that. It is very close to what I was hoping for and I am happy with my results especially considering I added a water block to my NB (got up to 90*C with the HS) so its a hot one! :p I will provide pics later today because I am tired and going to crash.

-Alex-

Also, The thing keeping the water below room temp is silver in the semicircles.

kommando
05-16-2004, 12:57 AM
Where are theese semi circles?

pippin88
05-16-2004, 03:47 AM
You can't cool below air temp using air, without evaporation or phase change. It just doesn't happen.

[AK]Zip
05-16-2004, 12:20 PM
PICS OF COMPUTER ALL DONE!!!!

http://home.comcast.net/~zip1385/comp1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~zip1385/comp2.jpg

If you have any questions feel free and ask. BTW the platform the radiator is on now will be cut 1 1/2 inches to make it shorter and I am 100% done. Also an explanation on how silver works here is when water hits it the silver is always colder then room temp, always colder then the water it is in. Basically silver is always colder then the atmosphere that it’s in. That’s how it works here.

I want to know who is interested in one of these bad boys. Only think is I don't have much of those silver tubes left so they will come without it, but what I will do is weld/sadder it all with silver causing a very similar effect. If anyone is interested please let me know. The will be $120 + actual shipping charge. If you want the fill and bleed charge I can put it on there and if not that’s also fine. The radiator will the painted any color you would like as long as that color is available at Wal-Mart or Lowe’s. Just PM me.

-Alex-

pulverizer
05-16-2004, 08:56 PM
ummmm, no
You ever take thermodynamics or heat transfer by any chance?

charlie
05-16-2004, 11:44 PM
Very creative looking rig! Nice work

And creative writing too, lol about the silver being magically cooler than the ambient air or liquid...

Jabo
05-17-2004, 12:38 AM
I think instead of selling this magical rad he should be selling a theory piece he based it on. Peeps will kill to have this colder than ambient silver!!!
I suspect it must be developing some sort of quantum sigularity effect and in this way siphoning energy out into some other dimension keeping metal cooler than ambient temp!
I'll pay you $10000 for letting me in itno the arcane of your trans-dimensilnal skills!

Weapon
05-25-2004, 09:26 PM
*goes to measure the temp of the block of silver that is setting on his desk*

edit: I must have the plain variety of silver that wasnt sprinkled with magic dust - damn stuff is the same temp as everything else in here.

:)

8-ball
05-26-2004, 12:46 AM
LOL, that's funny.

At equilibrium, any material will be the same temperature as it's surroundings provided you are not adding or taking away thermal energy in any way.

Heat conducts DOWN a temperature gradient. IF the silver was somehow colder than ambient :D, then heat would simply conduct in from the surroundings until it was restored to ambient temperature.

However, metals, in particular those with hight thermal conductivity, "feel" cold to touch because your body is warmer than ambient and you get conduction of thermal energy from your warm body into the cooler AMBIENT metal, down the temperature gradient. This sensation of thermal energy conducting out of your finger tips "feels" cold, but that is only perception.

Have you ever wondered why a metal toilet seat feels significantly colder than a metal or plastic one. (That is assuming you've evre used a toilet with a metal seat, as often found in public lavatories here in England)

Hope that helps clear up the difficulty you are obviously having understanding the fundamentla thermodynamics at work here.

8-ball

[AK]Zip
05-26-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by 8-ball
LOL, that's funny.

At equilibrium, any material will be the same temperature as it's surroundings provided you are not adding or taking away thermal energy in any way.

Heat conducts DOWN a temperature gradient. IF the silver was somehow colder than ambient :D, then heat would simply conduct in from the surroundings until it was restored to ambient temperature.

However, metals, in particular those with hight thermal conductivity, "feel" cold to touch because your body is warmer than ambient and you get conduction of thermal energy from your warm body into the cooler AMBIENT metal, down the temperature gradient. This sensation of thermal energy conducting out of your finger tips "feels" cold, but that is only perception.

Have you ever wondered why a metal toilet seat feels significantly colder than a metal or plastic one. (That is assuming you've evre used a toilet with a metal seat, as often found in public lavatories here in England)

Hope that helps clear up the difficulty you are obviously having understanding the fundamentla thermodynamics at work here.

8-ball

What in the hell are you talking about! Please learn to read. :stick: Please go back and reread all of my posts and you will find me saying about 3 times that it may have been an error in the temp readout. You guys seriously either can't read or just look though the preaty pictures and then jump on the band wagon.

8-ball
05-26-2004, 03:00 AM
First off let me say this radiator is 100% custom no ideas or anything was taken from anyone else. So if you would please do the same and not take my design that would be great. Now onto the radiator. This radiator is 15in long, almost 6in wide and 1 1/2in thick. It’s a double layer 1 way radiator. It has a built in fill and bleed system and I will be finishing everything else today and putting it all together. It has already been test for leaks with water for 1 week. A 30 minute 15lbs of vacuum and another 30 minute test with 15 lbs of pressure. No leaks at all! Cooling this will be 2 120mm fans. I am hoping to have load temps of close to 30*C I have tested it and it keeps the water a little under room temp because of the design. I will defiantly be posting results as soon as it’s all together up and running, but for now a few teaser pics of the radiator itself.

Once again guys. The semicircles aren't empty. I am not going to say what and how its done until I test it on my system. If it works I will tell everyone what it is, but not how its done. Expect results today!

The time has come I know I am a little late, but its all done and togeather!!! Idle temps went down to 29*C with room temp of 24*C (its soo hot in here I hate it) and full load temps running Prime and Sandra burn in is only 33*C. Fans are on low and I can't hear em at all. Very happy about that. It is very close to what I was hoping for and I am happy with my results especially considering I added a water block to my NB (got up to 90*C with the HS) so its a hot one! :p I will provide pics later today because I am tired and going to crash.

-Alex-

Also, The thing keeping the water below room temp is silver in the semicircles.

If you have any questions feel free and ask. BTW the platform the radiator is on now will be cut 1 1/2 inches to make it shorter and I am 100% done. Also an explanation on how silver works here is when water hits it the silver is always colder then room temp, always colder then the water it is in. Basically silver is always colder then the atmosphere that it’s in. That’s how it works here.

I want to know who is interested in one of these bad boys. Only think is I don't have much of those silver tubes left so they will come without it, but what I will do is weld/sadder it all with silver causing a very similar effect. If anyone is interested please let me know. The will be $120 + actual shipping charge. If you want the fill and bleed charge I can put it on there and if not that’s also fine. The radiator will the painted any color you would like as long as that color is available at Wal-Mart or Lowe’s. Just PM me.

-Alex-

OK, before you start getting all defensive, perhaps YOU should read all of YOUR posts.

For convenience I have quoted all of your text above, minus the pretty pictures so you don't get distracted.

Could you please point out to me where exactly you have mentioned that there may have been errors in the temp readout.

Personally, I don't see anything other than some ridiculous claims about silver keeping the water below ambient followed by you trying to sell them. Sounds like marketing spiel to me.

8-ball

novagamer
05-26-2004, 06:59 AM
OK, before you start getting all defensive, perhaps YOU should read all of YOUR posts.

For convenience I have quoted all of your text above, minus the pretty pictures so you don't get distracted.

Could you please point out to me where exactly you have mentioned that there may have been errors in the temp readout.

Personally, I don't see anything other than some ridiculous claims about silver keeping the water below ambient followed by you trying to sell them. Sounds like marketing spiel to me.

8-ball

Wow, he got you pretty good OP.:toast:

[AK]Zip
05-26-2004, 02:00 PM

8-ball

I apologize. I didn't update here as much as in another forum. Look here I said it a bunch of times it may have been a readout error. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=296836

Once again I apologize.

-Alex-

extremecorvette
05-28-2004, 05:39 PM
Do you have the specs on it

Lithan
05-29-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by pippin88
You can't cool below air temp using air, without evaporation or phase change. It just doesn't happen.

Technically evaporation IS phase change. And you are wrong.

Compressed air can be used, it's still air cooling, and if pressure isn't high enough to force it to liquify it's not phase-change.
Also I believe that with enough pressure imbalance, you can force the molecules in the air further apart... causing them to absorb heat even if they are equal to or warmer than the radiator. I BELIEVE.