PDA

View Full Version : KX7 or KD7 or wait?

DuraN
10-03-2002, 03:21 PM
For the first time in my life im in a position where i dont know which MB to buy :confused:

I sold my dear "old" KX7-333 to a friend, thinking to buy the new KD7-RAID.But as the shipping date closed in,the first tests of the KT400 showed no improvement over KT333,in fact the opposite.So i cancelled,and waited for more tests to come up.Read monday that a new revision of the KT400 was due in November,also read about the new nForce2 boards.

Now im sitting here on my brothers rig,trying to decide what mb to buy.The options are:

A cheap KX7-333 to play with until the new (KT400A(?) or nForce2) boards arrive
Buy a KD7-RAID now and hope for the 6:2:1 divider to function in the future
Or just wait(without my comp:( )until the KT400 matures(new BIOS,new revisions etc)?

Im starting to count on you guys to help me now :D

N8
10-03-2002, 04:46 PM
I would wait, personally...but that's ez for me to say as I'm not the one waiting. The nForce2's are looking to have great potential...but only time will tell. And regarding the KT400/A option...I learned the hard way not to jump on the low-performer when I bought my first DDR board...a KT266. Couple weeks later VIA released the KT266A and my board was now a dog and pretty much worthless for resale, lol. :)

DuraN
10-04-2002, 01:44 AM
A mate said that he would buy the KX7 from me for the same price as i am paying for it, so this means that ill play with the KX7 until the new boards arrive,and then sell it with no loss :)

This case solved itself i guess :D

OPPAINTER
10-04-2002, 08:55 AM
DuraN,

I'm testing a KD7 right now, I'm just getting started, I like it so far, heres the link.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3527

OPP

DuraN
10-04-2002, 10:52 AM
Too late OPP :(

My order with the cheap KX7 and two XP1600+ was already shipped.But i can sell it whenever i want to,so maybe that KD7 is worth picking up after all :D

But the questions are:

Should i pick up the KD7-R now?

or play with the KX7 until the new AMD boards arrive(new KT400,nForce2)?

I could really use the higher voltages since i dont like doing vmods on a board that i am just going to sell again...

Entuscan
10-04-2002, 11:36 AM
I had the same problem due to my KR7A death :(

Today I picked up a nice new cheap KX7-Raid rev 1.1 ($95) because the KD7 isn't any faster and when the KT400A comes the resale value is going to be a b*tch.

KT400 offers nothing more then 8x agp and stock more voltages.
The KX7 can do High voltages to if you Vmod it.

Ill wait until KT400A chipsets arrive that give /6 divider or maybe a N² board that has one. since the n² has better bandwith then a KT400 I might by one of those as an "in between" board :D

KT400 just hasn't got anything that convinces me to by it.