PDA

View Full Version : Chiller Temp Control

Titan151
05-12-2004, 05:50 PM
Hi all,

I have a Via Aqua CC25 Aquarium chiller that I am using to cool my PC. In order to get the unit to cool below 41F I need to modify the temperature relay so that it will reach 30 F. Aquastealth.com sells this same unit with a modified temp controller that is capable of reaching freezing. So I have two options. I can bypass temp relay and hook the power directly to the compressor. This will result in the unit running all of the time. Option two, would be to pick up a third party temperature controller that will allow me to keep the unit at or near freezing. I would prefer this as it will be more efficient for long term use. The downside to this is that the temp on the CPU will fluctuate as the unit cycles on and off.

What I would like to know is how do people control their chillers? Are they always on or is there some way to keep the temp within a 2 degree range? Any input appreciated.

=[PULSAR]=
05-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Find the temp diode on the chiller and relocate it to a warmer part on the water loop say after the last waterblock. Run the chiller and with a temperature monitor measure the outcoming water from the chiller. Change the temp on console pad, temps should be lower than shown and just fiddle around with it till you get your 30F coming out of the chiller. Just curious whats your water/cpu temps and how much of an overclock are you running?

Titan151
05-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Yes I thought of this earlier. I tried putting a different temp sensor into the temp control cards circuit. It turns out that the sensor the chiller uses is an RBD sensor or something like that. This is another type of sensor that measures temp and mine wouldn't work in it's place. I am not sure if I can remove the existing one as it is inside a tank in the chiller. If I can remove it this would be a nice solution. I will check into this.

My current temps are still moderate. I have more insulating to do and I am waiting on a new swiftech pump. I have a maze 4 block and at least check my waterblock temps were still about 40 degrees F higher then the chiller temps. I have some work to do to get the chiller to be closer in temp to the block. My board is a ASUS nforce 2 with an xp2500. Right now I am at 11x200 and will go up once I get my system stable. I may also add more blocks to the system.