PDA

View Full Version : Suggest me a tubing bender + lil more noobie stuff

texuspete00
05-12-2004, 06:01 AM
I always see this advised for turning A/C Units into chillers. Maybe a Home Depot link or something would help me. The tubing to be bent looks awfully thin. Ones I've seen are over $50 so I'd want to be sure I got the right one and I'm assuming this is a ncie tool to have for other projects?

I have read the faq but have been mulling stuff over. Hopefully a few other quickie q's about stuff Ive forgotten may be acceptable. I guess if the tubing were to break it would be cheaper to just get another A/C, but how much would a simple hobbyist need to spend to get involved in building there own? I see people usually have brazing equipment, some valves, and I guess another compressor can be used as a vacuum + Im sure other stuff (See I read!)

I had my eye on a $80 A/C unit from walmart... 5000BTU... should I be wary of one that is too cheap may have a weak compressor? If soemone just picked one up and it worked great please lend a suggestion for one that is friendly for conversion. I guess if I buy one, I can then decide between it and the kenmore already in my room.

I have read but I am a slow starter. Still trying to figure out the best way to get into this subambient stuff. This will help me. I did a search for tubing bender but would like a little more specific advise. If thats the only answered question I'd be happy.

Gary Lloyd
05-12-2004, 06:35 AM
A 'three in one' bender is most versatile. Using a tubing bender is fairly easy with a little practice. Unbending is much more difficult and prone to breakage than bending. And the connections at the ends are the weakest point in the tubing.

embro
05-16-2004, 10:41 AM
As for the compressor on cheap A/C unit, well most of them seems to be cheap but they have some awesome cooling power, some people here managed to make waterchiller out of them with around -25C.
And Gary said once tweaked they could get even lower.

DO IT!!! :P