PDA

View Full Version : New chiller project

Charles Wirth
05-11-2004, 12:36 PM
Welcome to xtremesystems.org

Yes that will work for a starter chiller project. If you wanted to use it for benchmarking then you would get a much larger res and fill with antifreeze or other choice liquid and let it get cold overnight before benching. You could always add ice or dry ice to the mix to increase cooling for your water loop.

The gurgling is normal.

Charles Wirth
05-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Hmm, how did that happen

EricHartmann
05-11-2004, 12:55 PM
Hi guys,

I have been reading this forum for a couple weeks now and decided to take the plunge. I ripped apart an old fridge keeping all of the cooling equipment in tact.

The compressor makes a gurgly noise like there is liquid in it. Is this normal?

The part that gets cold is shaped like a box and is aluminum. It used to be the freezer compartment. It has little channels where the freon flows through and it gets quite cold. Around -10 F.

I cut the freezer compartment apart so it is now a long sheet of aluminum with channels for the freon. I was thinking I could "roll" it up and stick it in a cylindrical resivor.

What do you guys think?

I am going to try to get some pics today of the setup so far.

kayl
05-11-2004, 03:34 PM
yeah you can do that, cut all the excess off that doesnt contain the channels then roll it in a roll as tight as you can, just be careful not to pierce the evap channels while doing it

EricHartmann
05-12-2004, 05:24 AM
Yeah I already cut all of the excess stuff out of there. I am only left with a sheet of aluminum.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to bend it? I dont want to block off the channels.

I am going to Las Vegas tomarow and through the weekend but when I get back I am going to post some pics.