PDA

View Full Version : !Receipe for Disaster!

Miles_Teg
05-07-2004, 12:11 PM
Hi fellas,

What I'm about to do now is give y'all a brief insight in what kind of a dumbass I seem to be. First let me describe the factors of influence to what happened to me:

1.- Two towers of laundry drying in my (small) PC room.
2.- Door and windows shut.
3.- Sun shining into the room.
4.- Having the Chiller run full throttle (not thermostat controlled)

As the fast drying laundry rapidly increased humidity, thus upping the dewpoint towards very near roomtemp, heavy condensation occured on every part that was even mildly below ambient. That means the hoses, waterblock, and a large portion of the mainboard. I mean a circle with a diameter of around 8" / 20cm was soaking wet. You just cannot insulate against something like this. You'd have to insulate half the mainboard. The hoses were 'sweating' too, right through the armaflex insulation. There was literally a pool of water under my desk and in my PC. I left the PC alone for a day to dry, but my IS7 got killed anyway. Shame, the thing was good for 300MHz FSB no problem.

I feel like a dumbass for allowing this to happen, but I did learn my lesson. It's not gonna happen to me again.

bh2k
05-07-2004, 06:38 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: happens man, now you know besides you can get an is7-e from newegg for 59 bucks.

Miles_Teg
05-08-2004, 01:59 AM
Don't think I'll have another IS7, but rather an AI7 for it's high Vdimm options, or a P4C800 for it's easy Vdimm mod and it being i875. I like the IC7 Max3 too, but it doesn't offer good Vdimms, and the mod for that is tricky. Got BH-5 ya know ;)

Anyway, I'm thinking about letting xtreme CPU cooling for what it is, and focus on GPU cooling to go subzero. CPU will probly get straigt watercooling or even (very good) aircooling, GPU water+TEC.

echow87
05-08-2004, 05:43 AM
Yup, AI7 is a good mobo. I am on 250fsb 1:1 right now, ram holding me back as well as cooling. I am pretty sure it can do at least 275fsb.

gkiing
05-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Sorry to hear that, but It'l be a learning eexperience. Just dry your laundry outside next time :\

Bartje
05-13-2004, 08:34 AM
Hey Bro, How is that AI7 doing now?

Thanks for the chiller, running it right now with just my GPU block on..