PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 9700...no post...

mike.elmes
10-02-2002, 01:53 PM
I am trying to get a new Radeon 9700 to work in my KR7A-R

Yesterday I plugged it in and got the double beep like it didn't like the card or it wasn't seated properly. Re-seat the sob recheck the power plug etc. Jiggle the connector at the card and she posted. Install the driver's and do a few 3dmark runs,do a few quake 3 timedemo's surf a bit. No probs. Day 2 , fire it up....
again NO post...wtf?? This is really starting to piss me off.

The card I had previous to this was a Radeon 8500. Just a simple upgrade..Shouldn't be any big deal.

I put the 8500 back in and went into the Bios and changed the AGP aperature to 128, thinking this might fix her up...NOT.

Tonight I will try it in another setup, but really. The card is a Built by ATI retail card with the rev 11.

Anyone here have any suggestions??

mdzcpa
10-02-2002, 02:52 PM
The "no cold boot" syndrome with the 9700 on the KR7A is unfortunately quite common. There are a ton of these reports out there (see the Rage3D forums).

Most KR7A users ignore the issue by just hitting the reset switch after the power on no post routine. You should have no trouble with a warm boot.

To minimize the problem (or eliminate it all together), make sure you have a plenty powerful PSU. My buddies move to an Enermax 431w PSU from a Enermax 350w model eliminated the cold boot problem on his KR7A with the 9700 altogether.

You may also want to cruise those Rage3D forums too to pick up on any other ways to eliminate the issue. There were plenty of reports there on this, so you should have no trouble finding good threads on the topic.

mike.elmes
10-02-2002, 03:43 PM
Thanx for the reply,

The funny thing is I thought I had her beat yesterday as I got it to post. Then fixed the drivers etc.

I have a Truepower 550 on this rig so I can't imagine its that.

I'll try it in another system, and go from there.

mike