PDA

View Full Version : Phase change tutorial

|PuNiSh3R|
10-01-2002, 06:32 PM
I kinda rushed this out (took half an hour last night to write the whole thing) for my friend at Cyphers Shack.. but I know some of you are looking for a tutorial..

http://www.cyphersshack.com/?module=articles

Click on the phase change tutorial.. have fun.. let me know what you think.

mdcomp
10-01-2002, 06:46 PM
It's a great article. Just read it. He wrote it for my website. Please support my site and join the forums. Thanks. The article was especially great for me because it was easy for a beginner like me to understand.

JAWS
10-01-2002, 07:15 PM
I think it's great! There are hundreds of noobs out there (including me) that need tutorials like this one! I see your going to write another one: How to build a beginners system! Man I can't wait for that one! I just spent the last two hours researching compressors and such.

Great Job |PuNiSh3R|

Consider this a sticky!

|PuNiSh3R|
10-01-2002, 07:35 PM
Thanks. There are going to be 3 total lessons. The third will basically go into a more complicated system and probably include instructions on building a direct-die. The second lesson will scrap the surface of direct die. Since I am not ready to build a direct die system yet.. I have no way of providing pictures to walk people through it. Maybe I will have a 4th tutorial.. who knows.

TheDude
10-01-2002, 08:24 PM
|PuNiSh3R|

Excellent! This is perfect for someone like me. It would have taken me countless hours of research and I still would no doubt have missed important information. I eagerly await your next installment. Thanks for sharing the benefits of your own experience with those of us just starting to explore this area of cooling.:D

:toast:

dmitriyaz
10-01-2002, 09:41 PM
nice article!
i wish i had come across something like this a month ago,
before i started to rather the information one piece at a time :)
one thing though:
sorry to sh|t on your thread, but i'd like to comment on this:
I once heard someone say that 754w is 1HP. This isn’t true and you cannot take the electrical rating of a compressor and convert it to horse power.
http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:KUmjYVNJ81UC:pump.net/thebasics/unitconvfactors.htm+conversion+horsepower+watt&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
look under "power",
watts, HP, and btu/hour are all measures of the same thing: power; therefore can be easily converted into one another.
just like inches, centimeters and yards are all measures of the same thing (length), and can be conrevted to one another.

your idea, as i understand, is that the amount of energy that the compressor consumes (in form of electricity) and the amount of energy that the compressor moves (in form of heat), have no direct relationship with one another; and one can not be estimated just by knowing the other.
that is completely true.

dont take it the wrong way, i know nothing on the subject of refrigiration compared to you, i just wanted to clear that up :)

thanks

|PuNiSh3R|
10-01-2002, 10:52 PM
I think what you are trying to say when you say that 1HP is 754w is that 1HP can move 754w of HEAT.. not that 1HP takes 754w of electricity.. that would make more sense. In my article I stated just that.. 1HP is not necessarily 754w of electric. I didn't put in my theory that 1HP could be considered 754w of actual heat movement because I wasn't sure. But I do know that you cannot take 1HP and say it's 754w.

Anyway.. many thanks to everyone for the kind words. I am glad I was able to pass a part of my knowledge on. I have been wanting to do so for some time now.. but never got around to it. I spent a lot of money on my project and learned a great deal from my own expirences and through help from people like Aenigma.. who took a lot of my n00bie öööö questions day after day :).

As he helped me gain my knowledge and hands-on expirence.. So shall I pass what I learned on to others in an attempt to educate.

I will be working on my next 2 or maybe even 3 parts to the tutorial. The next piece will probably be in place next Tuesday night. Although.. no promises seeing as I have a lack of a digital cam now.. My friend wants his back.. and I won't be picking my own up till probably next weekend. I could start the writting on this article and add in the pictures when they become available.. but I won't release the article till everything is in place. I find it a horrible waste of time to put something out like this and not provide many pictures to help guide my viewers to understand what I am trying to say. Refrigeration is a lot more then just reading.. it takes pictures and diagrams to further that education and make it as easy for the reader to understand as possible.

|PuNiSh3R|
10-01-2002, 10:54 PM
Oh, btw.. If you guys would like a copy of this tutorial to post up here.. let me know.. I will gladly hand the pictures and word file over along with the rest of them in the series.

Nohto
10-01-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by |PuNiSh3R|
I kinda rushed this out (took half an hour last night to write the whole thing) for my friend at Cyphers Shack.. but I know some of you are looking for a tutorial..

http://www.cyphersshack.com/?module=articles

Click on the phase change tutorial.. have fun.. let me know what you think.
Doesn't work for me.

|PuNiSh3R|
10-01-2002, 11:35 PM
Yea, site is down now for some reason.. I'm sure it will be back up soon. This is why I want to give a copy to this site as well.

|PuNiSh3R|
10-02-2002, 09:28 AM
Cyphers is still down.. grr..

|PuNiSh3R|
10-02-2002, 12:37 PM
Cyphers is back up.. yay.. anywho they had server problems. Enjoy

aenigma
10-03-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by dmitriyaz
nice article!
i wish i had come across something like this a month ago,
before i started to rather the information one piece at a time :)
one thing though:
sorry to sh|t on your thread, but i'd like to comment on this:
http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:KUmjYVNJ81UC:pump.net/thebasics/unitconvfactors.htm+conversion+horsepower+watt&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
look under "power",
watts, HP, and btu/hour are all measures of the same thing: power; therefore can be easily converted into one another.
just like inches, centimeters and yards are all measures of the same thing (length), and can be conrevted to one another.

your idea, as i understand, is that the amount of energy that the compressor consumes (in form of electricity) and the amount of energy that the compressor moves (in form of heat), have no direct relationship with one another; and one can not be estimated just by knowing the other.
that is completely true.

dont take it the wrong way, i know nothing on the subject of refrigiration compared to you, i just wanted to clear that up :)

thanks

Basically.

The compressor consumes "1hp" of electricity, but in no way does that meant he compressor itself is 1hp.
For instance I have a window a/c that consumes 612w but the compressor is only 1/2hp.Compressors are in no means effecient.
I actually do have a 1HP compressor, I wouldnt suprised if the damn thing drew around 1000 watts :eek:

|PuNiSh3R|
10-06-2002, 01:39 PM
New URL for the tutorial.. hosted by our own very sexy mr. Aenigma

http://www.subz3ro.net\Phase%20Change%20Tutorial%20Part%2 0I.htm

sysfailur
10-12-2002, 05:43 AM
This article would be great if it was written by someone other than punisher. -_-

Hardass
10-12-2002, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by sysfailur
This article would be great if it was written by someone other than punisher. -_-
This type of post will not be tolerated here. This will be your only warning.

|PuNiSh3R|
10-12-2002, 08:46 AM
Boy.. I'd love to give a smart ass'd flame reply to sysfailur.. but I won't.. because I'm such a nice guy.

Btw, the second part of the tutorial won't be out for a little while.. I'm just way to busy to be doing the second piece.. and I have no digi cam.. so it really serves no good to write up an article with out pics.