PDA

View Full Version : 9700 Pro rev. xx11 8x AGP or Not?

zippyc
10-01-2002, 06:06 PM
I have read in some forums that the very first revision of the 9700 Pro card that was released by ATI has a bug and does not support 8X AGP. Evidently the part number string that ends in 13 is OK where 11 is not?

For Example: PN: xxxxxxxx11 vs PN:xxxxxxxx13

Or is this hearsay?

I am waiting a bit to get an 8X AGP capable MB so I cannot test this myself, but I will be more than a little miffed (or happy if ATI quickly exchanges it with the latest rev.) if this is true. Anybody run into this?

Also, anyone know any tweaks to get better memory speeds from this card? (other than cooling? I already watercool the GPU and have big sinks on the memory. I use powerstrip as the timing tool and run stable at 399/347).

mike.elmes
10-01-2002, 06:23 PM
Actually I have read something similar. I just got my 9700 today and was a little dissapointed to see a 11 at the end of the PN.

Oh Well, if this card should have to be RMA'D I bet I would then get the later revision.

Charles Wirth
10-01-2002, 06:27 PM
My good cards end in 11, my saphire ends in 13 and it sucks for OC in comparison.

OEM 13 vs Retail 11?

I will have a 8x board soon to try.

zippyc
10-01-2002, 06:30 PM
I continued my research and found the most relevant thread so far here:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33634403

I am still interested in hearing from members of this Forum (as most of you seem to know what you are doing, lol) regarding this issue and will call ATI to see if they will send me the newest rev.

Maybe I'll wait until we start seeing new steppings of the GPU (wishful thinking?) as it is not an issue for me until I get my new MB.

zippyc
10-01-2002, 06:43 PM
Fugger said

"My good cards end in 11, my saphire ends in 13 and it sucks for OC in comparison".

Just curious, did you use the factory provided fansinks in both cases? I can't remember if you watercool or not, but if the rev. 13 card with the lower OC ceiling has a different cooling system (fansink assby, thermal bonding agent) that could very well account for the differences you experience in overclocking.

I know my ATI's original cooling solution was lacking, in my opinion (ran hot as heck, especially when o'clocking).

Also there are probably architecture and subtle (or obvious ) supporting chipset differences between the ATI "Built by ATI" cards and the OEM "Powered by ATI" 9700's. Not a good plug for the Saphire version in that case.

twiggy
10-01-2002, 06:50 PM
i have a saphirre 9700 xxxx11 and it runs like a charm..:D but it didnt work in a abit kd7 tho:rolleyes:

Charles Wirth
10-01-2002, 06:54 PM
Retail 435/370 waterblock only, no ramsinks, no volt mods, no shim.

OEM 355/330 waterblock, ram sinks and shimmed core

AC cooling in the case approx 10c

twiggy
10-01-2002, 07:00 PM
wow thats a nice overclock with no v-mod.the highest i can hit is 390/340 no v-mod and it has a big heatsink on the gpu and no shim..

zippyc
10-01-2002, 07:19 PM
You may want to stick a temp. probe on the back of each card under the same conditions (case, speeds, water temps, benchmarks) to verify that the shim is not hampering your contact between your waterblock and GPU on the OEM card buy comparing the temps. You probably already have checked that, so pardon me if I am making a simple sugestion to an pro.

I know on my ATI card I had to position the waterblock very carefully and had to reapply thermal paste a couple times to get the feel for the tiny (est) amount that would do the job.

I also went to (go ahead and laugh) home depot for nuts, bolts, rubber grommets, and plastic washers to hold it in firmly in place (tightened by finger). The usual plastic spring loaded pins (waddaya call those mounting thingies, Snap Pins or something?) held it 'Tight" as it was flush, but I got a 7 degree temp drop (flat thermal probe dead center of opposite side of GPU, taped) by using the better mounting hardware and the same amount of paste.

Case temps of 10? Wow, how did ya do that? Re-rout a duct from a household AC?

Marci
10-02-2002, 01:24 AM
Most of the ppl in the UK, including Pilsy and MajorMav, are all using the Sapphire version, and both have xxxx11 cards... so far no-one's managed to lay their hands on a xxxx13 card for us to try... and whenever we order "retail" cards, when they arrive they turn out to be the same Sapphire "OEM" cards...

zippyc
10-02-2002, 07:02 PM
I returned to the office today to find a voicemail from the ATI (Canada)Public Relations contact I e-mailed about the issue yesterday, and the message stated that they do, in fact, know about the issue and are replacing the cards on a case by case basis because the bug only shows itself on the 11 version of the card with certain motherboard and power supply combinations. He offered to get me in touch with the appropriate service reps to take care of it with an RMA.

I would expect nothing less from a reputable company like ATI, and am very pleased with thier willingness to make good on their promise of 8X. I am not sure if this will be the case with the Saphire cards, that will be up to the company that builds them, I suppose.

I am also not suprised that this "bleeding edge" card has a little bug...that is almost what I have come to expect as an early adopter of new technology.

This card is still the best in the market, and has given me no problems and the smoothest and fastest perfomance I have ever seen, so I probably will not get an RMA issued until I get an 8X capable motherboard. Perhaps I will be getting a better stepping by waiting.

I also heard from another (unofficial, not ATI) source that there will be an all in one Wonder version coming out in time for Christmas priced at around $200.00 (US), which will have exactly the same GPU but fewer data pipelines enabled in the firmware. It is entirely possible that someone will then come up with a tweak that will open up all the pipes and overclockers should (theoretically) be able to get the performance of the Pro at a fraction of the price.

Marci, sorry to hear all you guys can get in the UK is the saphire version...maybe a "Built by ATI" (instead of "Powered by ATI") card will be availble for you soon.

In my case I ordered a non-retail version and saved $40.00 (US), but it was still "Built by ATI" so it is the same card as you find in the retail box. I'll try to confirm that with them tomorrow too.

Unshra
10-02-2002, 07:56 PM
Well I take it that I have a high risk of having a one of the bad card since mine's 10 :(. I have an AGP8x board to test it out on might do that this weekend.

Chong345
10-03-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by FUGGER
Retail 435/370 waterblock only, no ramsinks, no volt mods, no shim.

OEM 355/330 waterblock, ram sinks and shimmed core

AC cooling in the case approx 10c

FUGGER, I get about the same with my OEM with the stock cooling. I hate this card. After the vmods and -24C water with 80W pelt I could still only hit 435 or so. Very dissapointed so far but thats ok cause I have a retail sitting here unopened and I'll test later next week.

Chong