PDA

View Full Version : Project Liquid Silver

Fpsfreak
05-01-2004, 05:09 AM
After a few weeks of debating, searching, researching, reading posts and laughing at some pretty funny threads I have decided to prove some of the naysayers wrong by using an external WC unit on my latest project.

The case is going to be the Lian Li PC73 SL cooled by a modified Koolance Exos Al unit. The mod being the unit will be recessed into the top of the case for a (Hopefully) Factory look. The radiator will be ducted and sealed in such a way as to pull cool room air in from the front top 2 drive bays by a custom duct with some form of Mesh/Screening yet to be determined.

A MO LCD dipslay is also being added I just haven't figured out just were to put it yet:confused:

Why would I do this you ask? 1 Becuase I can and 2, It turns a generic :confused: Lian Li and Exos into something a little different.

Some of you will/may question my choice of an external unit and that's fine. My point is to show that they can be a VERY comparable choice to a DIY kit and still keep the custom/Mod factor.

The case is due at my house Monday, the Exos on Monday and the rest of the materials by Wednsday of this coming week.

I will post pics as I go when I have a chance.

Thanks for the help, laughs and hopefully compliments.

Bobby

Fpsfreak
05-01-2004, 08:07 AM
This is the baby straight out of the box. Fedex and Geekdeal rule! 2 Days early :banana:

Fpsfreak
05-01-2004, 08:08 AM
The inside of the door showing the available bays and the rubber gasket to aid in soundproofing the drives

Fpsfreak
05-01-2004, 08:09 AM
Close up showing the Steel spring loaded balls to keep the door latched and the lever that when pushed allows for the door to be easily removed

Fpsfreak
05-01-2004, 08:10 AM
An inside shot showing how much room this thing has. Talk about elbow room and area to grow :)

Fpsfreak
05-01-2004, 08:12 AM
The HD cage with handle which also comes with rubber insulaters for the HD's to lower noise and vibration.

Fpsfreak
05-01-2004, 08:14 AM
This shot shows the cardkeeper bar with adjustable length arms and tension screws to prevent any of the AGP/PCI cards from working their way loose during normal use or transport.

Fpsfreak
05-01-2004, 08:16 AM
A shot of the bottom mounted intakes with mesh for the two front fans at the top of the pic and a larger mesh covered opening for additional ventilation. You can also see the locking casters in this picture. So far an amazing case :)

Fpsfreak
05-01-2004, 08:18 AM
In this shot you can see how both the MB side cover and top of the case are both covered in 1/4 inch thick soundproofing which is extremely well and neatly applied.

Fpsfreak
05-01-2004, 08:19 AM
Both sides of the case are covered in soundproffing material of a very high quality. Almost reminds me of Dynamat.

That's the case. More pics to come when the REAL modding starts.

danrok
05-01-2004, 01:35 PM
Very nice case! I have the PC75.

Look forward to seeing the finished beast.

koensa
05-01-2004, 01:53 PM
naais

Fpsfreak
05-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by danrok
Very nice case! I have the PC75.

Look forward to seeing the finished beast.

Thanks,

The 75 Was my first choice till I saw the 73SL:eek:

Exos will be here Tommorrow, start cutting tommorrow night:)

danrok
05-03-2004, 03:43 AM
I have a Exos on order too. Should be here in a few days time. :)

charlie
05-03-2004, 02:12 PM
beautiful case.............

:slobber:

C

Johnny Knoxvill
05-03-2004, 02:31 PM
nice case, very cool looking :cool:

Fpsfreak
05-04-2004, 06:00 AM
Thanks Guys, I LOVE this freakin' case. I managed to get the top cut (The panic of cutting :( into a $250 Aluminum case is a rush) last night and get the Exos mounted to check clearances and such. Looks amazing if I do say so :) Tonight will be Resevoir relo and some wiring along with a window mod. I'll take pics tonight at work. Should be up by tom.

scrible88
05-04-2004, 07:30 AM
Hurry up lol!

That case is just insane. :slobber:

I wouldn't of had the guts to cut it.....

I won't even cut mine because I have no $ even though it only cost $48

Maybe its just that I am not good at case modding :rolleyes:

:toast:

Fpsfreak
05-05-2004, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by scrible88
Hurry up lol!

That case is just insane. :slobber:

I wouldn't of had the guts to cut it.....

I won't even cut mine because I have no $ even though it only cost $48

Maybe its just that I am not good at case modding :rolleyes:

:toast:

I didn't think I had the guts either but once you start there's no turning back Lol.

The only way you can become good at something is to try it. Start with a $48 case and work from there. That's how I have done it. Screwed up more than my fair share of cases. Just made sure it was the cheap ones Lol.........:p:

Now for some more pics........

Fpsfreak
05-05-2004, 05:58 AM
Well 4 hours of Measuring.....Measuring again.......And than Measure one more time before cutting yeilded this........Temp mounted to check clearances and what the look would be. I think it looks pretty good how about you guys?

Fpsfreak
05-05-2004, 05:59 AM
A slightly different angle. Almost factory looking if I do say so:p:

Fpsfreak
05-05-2004, 06:00 AM
Here's a shot showing the position of the Rad and how it fits in. Like a glove. I was even able to use the firm rubber fan ducts so the entire Rad surface still gets an even, smooth flow of air.

Fpsfreak
05-05-2004, 06:02 AM
No good doing all this work and not being able to see it so $15 worth of materials, 2 hours of Measure....Measure....Measure cut and we get this.....

Fpsfreak
05-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Which winds up looking like this. Still haven't decided on a laser etching or a DIY frosted AMD64 Logo using works sandblaster setup:D I tried to keep the cutout as neat as possible without ruining or disturbing the soundproofing on the door.

Fpsfreak
05-05-2004, 06:06 AM
I figured I might as well keep cutting and decided on this location for the res. as it keeps it the highest point, allows for easy filling and viewing of the coolant level. First up, Measure.....Measure...Measure (Do you notice a theme here? Lol) and than 1 hour of cutting and filing with a long file got me this...

Fpsfreak
05-05-2004, 06:09 AM
When I was happy with the final fit this is how the res looks mounted in place. What do you guys think? Should look good when it's glowing Orange from the 2 12" UV CCFL's and DYE.:D

Fpsfreak
05-05-2004, 06:10 AM
Well.....This is where she sits right now. Tonight should be mounting of the control board and starting the wiring, Layout of the CCFL's and possibly start the duct from the back to the RAD. Pics should be here Tom. am.

Jupiler
05-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Very nice looking case you got there (have the PC75 myself).
And those cutouts are very, very clean. Congrats on a nice work.

LilGator
05-05-2004, 11:25 AM
:slobber: is this the same size as the PC75 ?

How is the airflow, with all of the sound proofing ?

danrok
05-05-2004, 02:11 PM
An excellent job! Keep it coming.

Fpsfreak
05-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Thanks Guys!! I'm happy so far. I am REALLY anal when it comes to doing something so all the old addages apply (Do it right or don't do it - Measure twice cut once - If it's worth doing it's worth doing right etc......Thanks DAD Lol )

More pics are coming.

Fpsfreak
05-06-2004, 07:15 AM
Not really a productive night but hey I WAS at work;)

Managed to get the control board mounted and partially wired.

Fpsfreak
05-06-2004, 07:16 AM
This is the mounting plate for the pump along with the rubber isolators.

Fpsfreak
05-06-2004, 07:18 AM
Finished Res mount. Just need to clean up tape residue.

Fpsfreak
05-06-2004, 07:20 AM
Not being one to waste, I reused the handles from the Koolance unit as panel pull handles.

ricercar
05-11-2004, 02:35 PM
The handles are sweet. Start to finish--and each step in between--you are a master craftsman.

templeviper
05-12-2004, 06:19 PM
Fps,

Awesome work! I know you have to be proud. I cant wait to see the rig finished.

scrible88
05-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Dang that case is insane!!!!

I want it reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy bad.

:(

I suck at doing things like that.

prizm77
05-13-2004, 10:52 AM
update us!! more pics

Fpsfreak
05-14-2004, 05:57 PM
More pics coming Sunday night. I'm on Midnight shift this coming week so I should be able to get A LOT done :)

scrible88
05-14-2004, 09:36 PM
Awesome, can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There we go!!!!! Official world record for the most exclamation marks in one post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Fisk
05-15-2004, 08:14 AM
it looks extremly nice! :]

Boyne7
05-15-2004, 08:20 AM
very very sleek, its a sight to behold

althes
05-15-2004, 08:43 AM
excellent work

Boyne7
05-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Very nice work with that exos and everything else.

Bra!nFreeZe^
05-20-2004, 05:04 PM
VERY NICE WORK!!! damn I admire your skills! I would really wish that that was my case! *drooling!*

FaTs
05-22-2004, 02:52 AM
I think I need to be alone for awhile :slobber:

Your sir are an Artist :toast:

mrflushysheaven
05-27-2004, 02:38 PM
any update? great work so far. i might try something like that one day. if i have money. -__-

lalPOOO
05-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Very nice work! Really clean cut on the window too. I think you should cover the front part of the koolance rad setup though with a custom cut aluminum peice, and maybe swap out those koolance leds :p: Hope to see more as this case is looking beautiful.

Bennah
06-01-2004, 06:41 AM
Congrats on the case and the moddin, its class :toast:

Did you use a jiggy to cut the window out of the side panel ?

I plan to get a new Lian Li case very soon, the PC75 was going to be my choice but after seeing your case, its given me something to think about. Can you mount fan controllers in the 5 1/2" bays even with the door on?

Oh and one last thing, anyone got any information or thoughts about the new Lian Li range? V1000 / V1100 / V1200 / V2000 / V2100.

JSU
06-03-2004, 11:02 AM
very nice work!

enzoR
06-05-2004, 12:08 PM
OMG Xtremely sweet man. u didnt even need that rubber molding your cuts are amazing. what do u use to make them?

Sphinx
06-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Extremely nice work! Awesome!

Doctor Carta
06-07-2004, 12:17 PM
more pics!Nice SH*T!