PDA

View Full Version : How to expand formatting perameters???

Tweaked!
09-30-2002, 05:23 PM
How can I expand the formatting perameters of a say win98 format bootdisk? Every time I try to format a hdd using a win95 or 98 bootdisk, it only does 2 gigs worth at a time. Then I end up w/ 2 gig partitions ( between using fdisk and format utility). I'm moving a 40gig hdd from my w2k rig to an older rig running on w98se and the file system in the w2k is setup on NTFS, I'm basically wondering how to format that back to FAT32 and maintain 1 partition for the whole 40g's. Sorry if this seems a little stupid, but I just never did grasp exactly how to use fdisk.:confused:

mook
09-30-2002, 06:23 PM
Under FDISK, when you go to remove a partition, there's an option to remove a special or invalid partition or whatnot. That's where you'll find the NTFS partition. Remove it, and rebuild it as a logical drive, then format it. That'll kick it back to FAT32.

As for your 2 gig limitation, that's a bit different. You may want to do a search on the inet for a new version of fdisk. I remember something about a different version being released for larger hard drives. Maybe that would help your issue.

routehero
09-30-2002, 07:18 PM
head on over to www.bootdisk.com and grab a bootdisk.

Newer versions of fdisk should give you an option allowing you to 'Enable Large Disk Support'.

This is what you are looking for.

Or, you could get some software like Partition Magic and do your partitioning through it.

Tweaked!
10-01-2002, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by routehero
head on over to www.bootdisk.com and grab a bootdisk.

Newer versions of fdisk should give you an option allowing you to 'Enable Large Disk Support'.

This is what you are looking for.

Or, you could get some software like Partition Magic and do your partitioning through it.

Thanks for the replies guys, the version of fdisk I have now has the option to enable large disk support, but still defaults to 2gig partitions. Basically, I was wondering how to go past that. I've downloaded a few boot disks from bootdisk.com, I'll have to experiment with different versions till I find the one without the 2gig limit.

Mook, thanks for the tid bit, I'll see if that works for me:)

TheDude
10-01-2002, 08:14 AM
Try doing a format /u that will do like a low level format that should wipe out everything and allow you to get rid of ntfs and raise you over 2 gigs...let me know if that does it for you.:D

Tweaked!
10-01-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by TheDude
Try doing a format /u that will do like a low level format that should wipe out everything and allow you to get rid of ntfs and raise you over 2 gigs...let me know if that does it for you.:D

Will do, thanx Dude :)