PDA

View Full Version : Power consumption question

Exempt
04-27-2004, 07:32 PM
I have 3 vapor cooling units in my home, and until yesterday everything seemed fine. I have a mach I with the R404 gas exchange, and mach II with R507 gas exchange, and a new vapochill LS with R507 (comes with R507 stock)....also in my computer room is 6 other computers, well Its getting hot here in Southern California, and my power went out ONLY to that room, yesterday while I had 5 of the 9 computers on. I usually run all 9 of the computers at the same time for extended hours, so I can't figure out why the power to the room would go out yesterday, the only thing I can think of, which leads to my question is...

Do the Mach I, mach II, and Vapochill LS, start to draw more power in order to cool the CPU more? Since the room was nearing 80 degrees ( WITH AC on in my home!! AC set to 70f), the units were getting pretty warm, Im thinking that in order to counter this, they start to draw more power in order to consume the heatload put off from the CPU. Does this sound correct?

I figured that this would be the best place to find that out. Thanks for any help. Also anyone have a recommendation as what to do about the power situation? Ive had electricians come to my home just to upgrade the wires in this room and to provide a more stable current. I have 3 UPC backup systems, and 6 surge protectors, and not the chessy kind either, i paid about 150 per surge protector. Luckily, though some of the computers were on , nothing was damaged.

craig588
05-06-2004, 03:27 PM
how many amps is the breaker your room is on rated for?

I needed to install 2 30 amp breakers for all of the computers, console systems, cooling systems, power amps, and other electrical devices in my room.

When PSUs are warm, the effeciancy drops (It might not be by a signifigant amount though), so they need to draw more AC current to produce an equivilant amount of DC current like when they were cold.

Exempt
05-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Im not sure, but Ive had an electrician slap a new circuit breaker in there when I upgraded the gauge of the wires to my home. I know for a fact I had a 30 amp breaker in there, and it kept switching off, so I asked him to slap something really nice in there, and he did, havent had a power problem till this past experiance

Exempt
05-06-2004, 06:58 PM
btw haha love your animation in the sig, Im a athiest/darwin type of guy :)

BuickBeast
05-11-2004, 04:29 PM
I can't answer the question, but hopefully you fold with all of those computers :D