PDA

View Full Version : An idea fit for a extreme overclocker.

will_perdikakis
09-29-2002, 07:00 AM
To the best of my knowledge, the temperature of the cold side of the pelt is determined by the hot side of the pelt.

Basically, the colder you get the hot side, the colder the cold side gets.

My idea is to supercool the hot side of the pelts, like <0C. That way the cold side gets really cold.

So, using the principles of stacking pelts, why not cool the hot side with a Prometeia or similar device?

OPP or MrIcee, I am looking at you two to try this first. If not, I will post my results when I do it.

TheDude
09-29-2002, 07:12 AM
I have heard of this being attempted with a standard Vapochill without success. I have not heard of anyone trying it with a Prometeia, but imagine they would run up against the same problem of not being able to remove that much heat from the peltier? Even given that the Prometeia cools better.

will_perdikakis
09-29-2002, 07:22 AM
What is the spec'd thermal removal of the evaporator die head on the Prometeia? A 226W pelt will release about 384W. Can the Prometeia not handle this?

Looks like r404a vapor change is the wave of the future.

TheDude
09-29-2002, 08:34 AM
This is all I could come up with..lifted from chip-con.com

The Prometeia is optimized for maintaining below -40C/-40F in the range up to 80W, but capable of maintaining an impressive -28C at a CPU load of 150W at 20C ambient temperature, thus having a comfortable margin for future processors.

I have never used one..just vapochill and just worked out a trade on that. There are others here who could better answer this...I just remember reading about the vapo attempt.:D

OPPAINTER
09-29-2002, 09:48 AM
It would be a pain in the @ss. I cool my pelts with Chilled water already. With a prometeia you would have to have a cold plate for both the hotside and the cold side, that right there you would be going through 4 different layers of AS paste, to many 3rd party units involved. 2 plates, the pelt and the evaporator and not to mention mounting all this together. I'll stick to my R404A water chiller for my pelts :D

OPP

MrIcee
09-30-2002, 12:34 PM
I've already gone this route also:)

I cooled my Swifty/226 watt pelt combo with -30c coolant. It is a very effective way of allowing the Pelt to work at it's most effecient...I achieved -17c cpu temps with this method.

Quite honest tho..the Prometeia is even better by itself. With HALT command enabled on my AMD system...I easily attain -48c evaporator temps...and -25c cpu temps as recorded my MBM5.

As OPP stated...it would be a pain in the arse to cool the pelt with the Prom..and I'm not really sure you'd gain any substantial reductions in cpu temps over a stock Prometeia.

Randi:D