PDA

View Full Version : New to all of this vmodding stuff...need help with 4600

Pyro
09-28-2002, 04:52 PM
I'm interested in vmodding my 4600, though I'm quite clueless. Could someone post informational links concerning resistors, recommended tools and supplies needed, how to soldier, etc. It seems as though it might be awhile before I vmod my card, not knowledgable enough yet, but I would like to thoroughly know what I'm doing before I start this new task. So far I've gained bits and pieces of info off different websites.

Alright, I've checked out after different 4600 vmods. Here they are:

Macci's Modifying MSI GeForce4 Ti4600

Pics of vmem and vgpu mods (http://www.vr-zone.com/guides/Madonion/3DMark2001SE/)
Vmem - added a 1Kohm resistor to increase the voltage from 2.80V to 2.95V.

VGPU - added a 5Kohm resistor to increase the voltage from 1.66V to 1.93V.

X-bit's VisionTek Xtasy GeForce4 Ti4600
Pics of vmem and vgpu mods (http://www.xbitlabs.com/video/visiontek-ti4600/)
Vmem - added a 720ohm resistor. "The graphics memory voltage increased up to 3.09V." Hmm, this 720ohm increased the voltage up to 3.09 while Macci's 1kohm hit 2.95v. Shouldn't the 1kohm have increased the voltage higher than the 720ohm, or am I completely backwards?

VGPU - added a 1kohm resistor and the regulator's output voltage grew from 1.66V to 1.81V.

Monster-Hardware's GF4 Ti4600 MAX Mod
Pic of vgpu mod (http://www.monster-hardware.com/articles/ti4600max%201.htm)
VGPU - added a 4.7kohm resistor.

Liquide's GF4 Ti4600 mod
Pics of vmem and vgpu mods (http://213.114.174.157/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1303#post1303)
Vmem - Used a 1kohm resistor for pins 18 and 20.

VGPU - Used a 4kohm resistor for pins 11 and 14.

Below are the different resistors used in the sites. Which would be the most reasonable combination for a modified air-cooled 4600?

Vmem - 1kohm, 720kohm
VGPU - 5kohm, 1kohm, 4.7kohm, 4kohm

My cooling would include a Cooljag 313C HSF (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=62&manufactory=1523&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1) and Tweakmonster copper BGA ramsinks with AS3 and AS epoxy. By the way, with stock cooling my MSI 4600-VTD can hit 336/750.

Also, why do Macci's, Xbitlab's, and Monster-Hardware's mods look different? I noticed Macci didn't soldier pins together like Xbitlab's. Is Macci's more of a temporary mod while Xbit's is permanent?

Thank you all for your time, its appreciated.

Pyro
09-29-2002, 07:29 AM
Alright, after reviewing MrIcee's KX7 / KR7A/ KG7 Volt mod guide and countless others on the net. I'm beginning to develop a slight knowledge on soldering, resistors, grounding, etc.

My previous statement "Hmm, this 720ohm increased the voltage up to 3.09 while Macci's 1kohm hit 2.95v. Shouldn't the 1kohm have increased the voltage higher than the 720ohm, or am I completely backwards?" was wrong.

From what I understand, the lower the resistance, the higher the max voltage should be able to go. So obviously the 720ohm voltage would be higher than the 1kohm.

After learning this, I believe Xbitlabs has a typo in ther guide. 1kohm used on the 4600 GPU seems quite extreme. :eek:

"Also, why do Macci's, Xbitlab's, and Monster-Hardware's mods look different? I noticed Macci didn't soldier pins together like Xbitlab's. Is Macci's more of a temporary mod while Xbit's is permanent?" I understand that these mods are different because of ground preferences. Also some prefer ressitors while others use pots that allow you to set the value of resistance to a certain degree.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, what are your opinions on using the below components for the mod?

SMD Grabbers
720ohm resistor for the vmem
4kohm resistor for the vgpu

Would the SMD grabbers work?

Were would be the best location for the grounds? Or just stick with the pins?

Do I need to worry about the power rating and maximum working voltage of the resistor?

What about resistor color codes?

Thanks

Tiribulus
10-18-2002, 04:19 PM
I'm leary of modding my video cards just because they're so damn expesive, though I suspect I still will. Have done a few motherboards successfully though. If you decide to solder, make sure you practice on something first if you haven't done any or much soldering. I know this goes without saying, but it's fairly easy to permanently disable your part if the right mistake is made.
Tiribulus:D

sysfailur
10-18-2002, 07:06 PM
The best way to go about these mods is to do a 2k and 5k variable resistor. You can then have a wide range of voltages because you can change it with a twist of a nob.

Kato
11-06-2002, 06:14 PM
Humm....I'm confused here....How do you guys monitor the voltage? Which cap should I go for monitoring? Should I do it while the card is running or away from the mobo? And do grabber work?

Outcast@Bzboyz
11-08-2002, 01:19 AM
I wrote the MHW article dewd...

I used a very mild resistor eventually I soldered a more aggressive resisitor on, a 3.0K one....

I found that i couldn't get better than 340MHz reliably...

Outcast@Bzboyz
11-08-2002, 01:26 AM
You mention the use of var res...I did that as a annendum to the volt mod...if you aren't very careful you will kill your card...I did!

In the end I have settled on resistors