PDA

View Full Version : DSL Problem

John Cena
04-21-2004, 03:44 AM
Heres the problem on one of my client's machine.

He runs Verizon DSL Buisness on the custom computer I made. The Motherboard is a ASUS P4P800 DELUXE and has onboard 3Com ethernet adapter.

He has verizon software installed so when the computer boots up, it automatically connects to the internet.

The problem is that sometimes his internet connection won't work, you can say that it got "dropped" but the networking icon thats their in windows xp when connected to internet is still there.

This happens especially when his idle and doesne't use the internet and goes on Microsoft word to type Projects.

I'm thinking it's a powersaving feature where windows shuts down the Network adapter or bios does it, but doesn't it automatically start when you want to surf the web? Also to get back on the internet, he would have to restart.

I'm going over there today to try and fix it, but would like some insight on what the problem is from windows pros.:D

nailbomb
04-26-2004, 06:50 AM
Low long is the DHCP lease valid, and how long does he sit idle?

John Cena
04-26-2004, 01:10 PM
I don't know. He says idle times like tying a word document. When I got to his house, He didn't even have the dsl cable plugged in and his "Computer illiterate".

But the problem happens to me too. Like when I play RTWC, sometimes randomly, internet connection would stop working even though the network icon appears on the system tray. I have to restart to get it to work. But after installing Windows XP, it doesnt happen anymore.

I think it's because of a "tweak" i did to unlload the network load from the cpu to the network card on my comp.