PDA

View Full Version : Powering my pelt

Ottar
09-28-2002, 10:22 AM
Hello,first,thanks for a great forum.
I have a xp 2200 @ 200x10 1.85v getting a bit hot, 52°C at 100% load.
Water cooled with Danger Den Maze 2-1.
So i bought a 226w peltier 15,2V 24A.What is the best way to power it?
I have 4 at-psu's i can use.
My options,as i see it,are:
2 parallel, using the 12V and getting ~20A,
or 3 in series using the 5V,and have 15V and a lot of amp's?
I like the last one best myself,but my skills are not that good :(
If i go for parallel,is the 12V still 12V,or does it become 36V?
And what to do with the power good signal?Can i use the 5V from my main psu?
And how to power them up/down automatically?A relay that work with high voltages(220V),and
get trigger'd by the 12V from the main psu,is that a solution?

OPPAINTER
09-28-2002, 10:51 AM
Ottar,

Welcome to Xtreme:D

I use to run a bunch PSUs to get either amps or volts but now I perfer 1 basic 12v 25amp PSU.
The amps is what you need for the 220 pelt you have, I would run 2 PSUs in Parallel to get double the amps. In a serious you would get double the Volts, or what ever volt lines your running together added up, and you don't need that:D These pelts run fine at 11-12 volts or so.

OPP

Ottar
09-28-2002, 01:54 PM
Welcome to Xtreme Thanx
Done some thinking here(some beer speed's up my mind :toast: )
The issue is:Sometimes it's a powerfailure here,and my mobo,kx7-333,power up when the power returns.
(Do they all do that?)My enheim waterpump don't.
So i have boiled some water,twice to be honest.Got a nice little burn on my finger when i touched the cpu-cooler :eek:
Running Mbm and Sdn now to awoid that.I was worried about the peltier running and the cpu/waterpump not.Solution:A 5-15V 40A psu,relay on red wire to peltier,trigger'd of 12V from main psu.Is that a solution?

megatron
11-30-2002, 03:25 PM
In the bios - I have an option of what to do after power failure. Power up or remain off. I choose remain off. I don't understand why after a power failure your pump remains off. My Eheim 1250 does not even have an on/off swich, its either pluged in or not and would be on after a power failure occured.

I don't know about you guys but, relays and adding complexity does not make me feel safer. I would never forget to turn the pump on before turning on the computer - possibly because it takes up my whole window ledge and goes outside on to the roof and you cant miss it.

Maybe I am just too cheap. :D:banana:

KnightElite
11-30-2002, 04:28 PM
I actually forgot to turn off the TEC after I turned off the computer... cost me a motherboard, processor, video card, waterblock and TEC. I now use a relay.

As to power supplies, check out this article (http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/linking_multiple_psu_s_as_one_.shtml) for information on how to do it. Those AT PSUs are probably rated for 6A on the 12V line, so to have enough juice for your TEC, run 4 in parallel.

megatron
12-07-2002, 07:00 AM
I want to get a relay so that if the bios or system monitor program wants to shut down the computer due to excessive heat then the pelt will shut off too. Maybe I should do this for the water pump too. Any retailers sell this?:toast:

KnightElite
12-07-2002, 09:09 AM
It's really easy. I built one into a cheap power bar. You just need to put the relay inside the power bar, make it so the AC power goes through it, then hook up 12V lines to a molex connector. Then, the power bar only works when there is 12V from your PSU going through it.