PDA

View Full Version : advise on compressor needed.

Blergo
04-20-2004, 06:17 AM
Hi, im planing to build a new waterchiller, basically i am fed up with the ones i have a the moment, they are too large and i plan to build one that will fit in a standard ATX case and i will have an identicall case atached to the side sort of like a cube case with chiller on one side and pc on the other.
at the moment i am trying to find a compressor that will fit into the space (isnt too wide) coolfreeze is back online and i have been looking throught heir compressors (as i believe they are fairly cheap) i have my eye on a 1/8th HP mini compressor but im not sure if 1/8th HP will be powerfull enough and also im not sure on the sizeing / suitability of the compressor The compressor is a TECUMSEH THB1340YS and on the coolfreeze site they say it is a 1/8th HP mini compressor for R134A from the picture it looks quite a nice size but i would really like to know some dimensions, im not aiming for any crazy low temps here, would be very happy if i can get -20 or there abouts. just fed up with all the bulk that my chillers are takeing up at themoment and have decided to scrap them both and make a nice mini chiller for one of my pc's and the other one will probably get a nice direct die unit after i get this one running. soo, anyone got any suggestions or info on that compressor?
many thanks,
owen

OCme
04-28-2004, 12:46 PM
I don't know how much heat you are looking to dissipate but 1/8 Hp would be too small to do anything but maybe a video card. I think you would do better with a 1/3hp low temperature condensing unit.

Blergo
04-28-2004, 02:27 PM
i was planing on chiling the gfx card and the northbrige with that. not really lookign for extreme temperatures from it, but i have changed my plans a little now ;-) i was goign to go for chilelr on the northbrige and gfx card and direct die for the cpu, now i want to chill the cpu aswell so i was looking at a 5/8 HP R404/507 compressor which i think would be more suitable, the problem is it will be a tight squeeze to fit it in with all the rest of the stuff that has to go in (congdensor, heat exchanger, etc) but i have measured it up and it SHOULD fit quite nicley :) and the airflow through the case is enough to take care of any heat problems i think (2 x 80mm and 1 x 120 at the front of the case and 2 x 120mm at the back and on the computer side of the cube there are 2 x 80 at the front and 2 x 80 at the back.) next problem is to find R404 cheap..lol. i managed to find somewhere to get R134A and R22 cheap, but R404 is very expensive :(
owen

Miles_Teg
05-01-2004, 08:53 AM
1/8 hp compressor is quite weak, but not undoable for chilling. My current chiller is just 1/20 (!) hp and reaches -18.5°C with the PC off. Overclocking and loading my CPU to its max brings the coolant temp up to around -10°C (depending on ambient temp ofcourse).

I personally think a coolant temp of -20°C is well within reach chilling just the GFX and NB with 1/8 hp R134a unit.

Blergo
05-01-2004, 12:57 PM
well, i might give that a try, i worked out i could fit it in the case AND fit my dad's prommy in the same case if i use that compressor. so it would be like a cube case with a prommy and a waterchiller built in, personally i think it would work quite nicley :D

the other option is to use a biger compresor and either do dual evap (heat exchanger to waterchill the NB and GFX AND direct die for the CPU) or make just a chiller that could handle the whole lot.

many thanks,
owen