PDA

View Full Version : OC Newbie

EvilCensor
09-27-2002, 05:43 AM
I have a standard Dell Dimension 8200 with an Intel P4 1.8ghz (don't laugh please) and have no idea about OC it.. can anyone give me some pointers?

N8
09-27-2002, 05:58 AM
Not sure if you'll find any OC options, but the place to look will be your BIOS. You'll have to boot to the BIOS(often done by holding the delete key while booting) and see if you can find any OC options in there.

TheDude
09-27-2002, 06:33 AM
You could also check out your manual. Some that cannot be tweaked in bios can be OCed to an extent by moving jumper pins on the Motherboard. Good luck and Welcome to the forum!:D

EvilCensor
09-27-2002, 08:09 AM
BIOS is pretty restricted from setup so no luck there - I think there may be some jumpers that can be shifted though.

The thing I was more concerned about is additional cooling etc.. I know it'd be difficult to say but how far (as a rough guide) could I take the processor up to without an extravagant cooling system?

There's a reasonably sized heat sink with a large fan shroud.

Thanks for the welcome and please forgive my ignorance. :D

N8
09-27-2002, 08:19 AM
You could always download Motherboard MOnitor and see what kinda temps you're getting right now w/ a stock setup. Might tell you they're fine, or too high already to OC :)

http://mbm.livewiredev.com

sforza
09-27-2002, 02:21 PM
You can always overclok it using software methods, as a program called softFSB.

I think the only thing needed is that the clock generator at the motherboard is supported by the program. I believe you'll have to search on the PCB to find out wich clock generator model you have.

bye

Neptune5k
09-28-2002, 06:40 AM
Check to see if your Dell has a namebrand Mobo that you can get on the street. For Example, a friend of mine had a Sony Vaio with an Asus board in it. The original Sony BIOS was completely stripped down... only options for the clock, IDE drives, and COM Ports. But with some searching, I was able to find a new BIOS for his board (P4B-LX). Now he has lots of FSB adjustments and memory timings to play with.

So pop off the side panel and see if you can find a make and model on the motherbaord, then post back and maybe we can help you out.

Albert the Fish
09-28-2002, 11:23 PM
I'd be concerned about the PSU rating in a Dell.
Dells are the standard desktop machine where I work. Recently I bought a digital video recorder card (DPS Reality) which specifies a minimum 300 watt psu.

The Dell desk top machines had a 150watt PSU. The min tower systems were 200 watts, only the full servers had 300 watt power supplies, but were very expensive.

Being Dell a standard off the shelf power supply did not fit in the case.

In the end I went to the local computer supplies shop and built a system with a power supply man enough to handle the cards I wanted to use.

What I am asking is what the other guys think about overclocking with such a small PSU?