PDA

View Full Version : Shadowbane

routehero
09-26-2002, 11:25 PM
While I am not in the beta myself, I do know someone who is. I've seen some screenshots of current status in game and it leaves a lot to be desired.

The graphics are definitely a sign of how long the game has been in development; SB, coming on to the scene in 1999 with promises of a PvP friendly MMORPG was heralded as the successor to UO. What happened?

2002, still nothing, and we won't see Shadowbane until 2003. If they don't update the graphics engine, I can't imagine that most people will want to play it. Many people will argue that gameplay is the key factor, however, for those who say that, why are they not playing UO? You can pick it up for $10 from EB, the graphics are terrible but the gameplay is great.

What's left? Do you want to place all your hope for next-gen MMORPG in Verant?

TheDude
09-26-2002, 11:35 PM
If they don't update the graphics engine, I can't imagine that most people will want to play it

Right on the money. I look for the best graphics that I can find and while gameplay is vital, graphics is often the deciding factor in my purchase. I didn't buy a high end card for nothing. I want both!:D

Drozdov
09-27-2002, 04:14 PM
Star Wars Galaxies looks nice

routehero
09-27-2002, 06:00 PM
Drozdov? As in "Puke" from WW(F)E? If not, pardon.

SWG is nice, and I think one benefit it has over its upcoming competitors is that it is not a part of the tired swords & sorcery genre. While games like WW2 Online and Anarchy Online have gone down different genres, there is still a lot of untapped potential, especially with the Star Wars universe, which is very expansive.