PDA

View Full Version : colin mcrae 4 anybody?

sky
04-12-2004, 06:18 AM
well got cmr4 on saturday and went at it. graphics are good, not outstanding (most of the time) but good. some tracks have an average look, others really look great. finished it 4 times already (2x 4wd, 1x 2wd, 1x group b). yeah fun.

some issues i have with this game. while there's brilliantly beautiful tracks in there, others are just taken from cmr3 and played backward (you'll know which ones - some tracks in greece for example). on my rig every once in a while the time-counters go to hell, which is a minor issue, though i'd like to know what my distance regarding the other drivers really is. i get the green sign telling me i'm ahead of them while i'm actually 20 seconds behind... pff
next thing is, some cars don't seem to unlock as they should. i've finished 2nd in the 4wd challenge and didn't get the bonus car for finishing 2nd. wtf?

framerates are pretty good. mostly around 90, lowest i've seen was high 60's. and some of the bonus cars really rock. audi quattro s1 - man i've been waiting for that car to reappear ever since cmr1 on the psx. YAY. ford cortina, another fine car and some mg, that i still need to unlock (see above).

ok. if you want eyecandy, use the drivers view with dash and all and drive the uk tracks starting with level 3 which imo is the most beautiful one despite the rain. rain, man the rain on the windscreen really rocks. looking really good and making it harder to concentrate on the track - especially in the latter stages of the uk when the rain picks up real strong.

i'm realling looking forward to unlocking the ultimate mode. extreme (yea!) damage and only driver view - usually i'm using the behind view, but i've picked up driving on board to get into it for this last ultimate challenge.
if you're into driving games, check it out. the physics feel good - though i'm not using a wheel to play this one - just the replays have a slightly strange quality. the physics there seem to be lost or strange or something. doesn't look like what you felt during driving.. ah well. nice game, check it out.

thomas66
04-27-2004, 02:44 AM
well its a beautiful game i did start to play it a few days ago.
but i have serious issues with stability it always drops me back to desctop sometimes at the start sometimes after playing two rounds and always if i have a look into the upgrades....
so i stoped playing for now waiting for a patch as i have seen a lot more people have the same issues

sky
04-27-2004, 08:10 AM
iirc there was an issue with cmr3 and vsynch. if you had vsynch disabled, you weren't able to play a championship through. every once in a while the game would lock up displaying the loading screen. might try that. didn't have those problems with cmr4 tho. played it through with no hickups. isn't that hard on the gfx-card anyway :)

prizm77
05-05-2004, 05:41 AM
while playing cmr4 the sound will randomly crap out
it will turn to full static and its truly unbearable
sb live value card

sky
05-05-2004, 10:03 AM
same here with nf7-s onboard. thought it happened (and only happend to cmr4) after changing to the latest nvidia audio drivers - been to lazy to get the old ones back. i dunno if i had cmr4 running with the old drivers before. with the cmr4 demo and those old drivers, there were no issues.
i found that once in the game driving for a few seconds (20 or so) after the sound starts crapping, pausing the game and then un-pausing the game will "fix" it for me.

prizm77
05-06-2004, 06:33 PM
the latest creative sb live drivers fix the problem but they sound horrible in cs, so cmr4 got the boot ;/

KODE
05-17-2004, 09:37 AM
CMR4 is awesome, the car feeling is way more realistic than CM3 (but harder to control too). The gameplay is even smoother, no sound problems here but the I also noticed the time counter bug.

Jupiler
05-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Yeah,
the game is great.

Unfortunately, I broke CD1 while taking it out of the cd box. :brick:

Called Codemasters in the UK.
I could get a new cd, if I send the broken one + 10€.
So with shipping + money, it would cost me approx. 15-20€. No way I'm gonna pay for that.

And if that wasn't enough, my Logitech MOMO Force wheel also broke.
Logitech isn't producing that wheel anymore, as it was a special edition.
Wheel was 1 1/2 years old. Got a full refund from Mediamarkt, and got me the Thrustmaster F1 FF Racing Wheel instead. (the ferrari replica)

Assasin-uk
05-17-2004, 01:53 PM
Yeah CMR is good... theres several faults with it but thats just a case of patches..

Toca race driver is alot better imo...

So many racing games in one box...:D

XanderF
05-19-2004, 02:26 PM
How's the Force Feedback with this title?

I understand the previous games in the series had TERRIBLE Force Feedback support, with CMR3 being the worst - little more than 'rumble' feedback betraying it's console roots.

I'm looking at getting a good FF wheel and rally game, but near as I can tell the only rally game with realistic FF is 'Rally Trophy', and the graphics on that are....well, dated.